Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 Rewind

Rolling into 2020, I knew our lives would change - plans were underway to relocate to a new home by May/June, which eventually happened, so it has been a bittersweet year. In fact, for most of 2020 I've been full of gratitude.

I spent January and February bike commuting to work, per usual, not minding the cold but wary and careful of slick surfaces. Looking down the road, I was mentally and physically prepared for a future double-the-length commute, and in fact I applauded a challenge, primarily because of cycling on a flat, car-free path with Lake Champlain views.

"Furloughed" in March, I busied myself with old and new home tasks and regularly checked in with my mother's household. I exchanged regular commuting miles for bicycle challenges to keep the wheels turning - a savior in an upside down year: Burlington Historical signs, Visit Little Free Libraries, visit Burlington Parks, and my annual Coffeeneuring Challenge. 

2020 was also full of wrenching, getting to projects earlier than anticipated. In April I upgraded my Clementine, swapping handle bars and tires, and a bit later dismantled the Trek Antelope, plus swapped the Peugeot commuter's bars for a more swept back version.

Along with new home sewing projects, I took a deep dive into more creative bikey things. I researched and figured out how to repair old panniers, added a custom bar bag to the Dahon, sewed 3 stem bags, and had fun with a pink reflective vest.


Bicycles and the freedom they provide took on special meaning in a socially distant, brave new world. I was thankful to ride the folding bike for transportation and exercise - or any bike at all - due to a thumb injury, but the Dahon's grip shifters allowed me carefree miles. After a wonderful staycation, quite unexpectedly, I purchased my first hardtail mountain bike, a Trek Marlin 7, in September. The bike added a new dimension to fall foliage rides and avoiding crowded MUPs: meandering in nearby wooded trails alone or with my new dirt-loving, live-in buddy. I'm dreaming of future adventures aboard the Trek. It's bizarre (fortuitous?) that I replaced one Trek bicycle with another in the same year! I have the desire to keep on trucking throughout a Vermont winter - even without a regular commute - recently adding studded shoes on my Peugeot St. Laurent.

For so many, 2020 has been tough, We're fortunate to have secure housing and plenty of food. But it has taught us to be humble, to be giving, and be thankful. Though I'm still seeking a safe employment situation, learning and creativity has been my salvation on top of regular cycling. I've completed an intro to Excel class and have started a personal project, tailored to track my bicycle mileage and specific statistics. 

And, somewhere amidst all the life changes, I almost overlooked two milestones: I've been blogging for 10 years and surpassed 3000+ riding miles in 2020. 

Be well friends.

12 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed seeing your various projects throughout the year, so I'm thankful that you took the time to share. It's always fun to see what other people make/repurpose.

    Congratulations on making it through a challenging year and finding ways to make it creative and bikey.

    Wishing you and yours all the best in the coming year (and I hope you find some work that fulfills you and makes you happy)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting post Annie and yes we too have a lot to be thankful for in whats been an unusual year. My steerer post on the Dahon has become "wobbly" in that in is worn at the fitting where it folds down and doesn't fit snugly. This may be due to age or possibly my style of riding up hills where I have a tendency to pull back on the bars. I'm awaiting a new one which has a different clamp fitting so thats a new year project to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry the post has failed. A project for sure! Dahons give me confidence though - parts can be replaced. I look forward to blogpost on your process.

      Delete
  3. Have a excellent 2021, may all our lives get back on the track soon, enjoy the RIDE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Annie! I liked following your bike projects, your creativity and practical approach is inspiring. What app did you use to create your collages? Those are sharp. I had similar feelings about the lessons of 2020: humble, forgiving, thankful, and lots of accepting the present moment. All the best in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Google's Picasa for all photo editing and collages. The program has not been supported for a few years but I continue to use it because does is simple to use and free.

      Delete
  5. That was a wonderful read. I applaud your optimism, and wish you the best in finding a safe employment situation. I haven't blogged much this year, but I've continued to read your blog and have enjoyed it. I meant to comment on how much I liked the stem bags you made, but...well, now I have, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, hank you. May you find peace with your cycling...in the meantime get outside for a walk. Stay well.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing what you'll be up to in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say THANKS for listing our site on your page, first time anyone's done that, kinda neat!! Not sure why it's still showing Recumbent Wanderings as the title, we've switch it to "Out and About on the Bicycles" as we sold our recumbent trikes and gone to "crank forward bicycles". We moved from a shared house/garage set up to a 2nd. floor apt. (sadly it's hard to get a apt. here these days so we had to take what we could afford and find on our fixed income!). It was just to much pain to haul the TRIKES up and down stairs and fitting them thru "not wide enough doorways"!! I (BJ) ride a 2007 RANS Fusion and JoLynn my wife rides a 2007 Electra Townie 21d (21 speed) both are the "crank forward" style of bicycle. Again thanks and have a excellent day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the blogging and bicycling milestones.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.