Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Outdoor Ventures Packable Jacket Review


After our Erie Canal adventure in 2022 where we encountered chilly mornings and evenings while camping, I vowed to find an affordable, packable, warm jacket for future trips. I've had good luck with Outdoor Ventures softshell jacket so I bought their synthetic Full-Zip Puffer Jacket. I prefer bike touring during the cooler months to avoid insects, humidity, and crowds, but it requires extra gear to stay warm - a trade-off that we find worth it.

I've been wearing the jacket exclusively for the past two months, cycling in windy 30-50F range, also toting the jacket on an Amtrak adventure to visit the Philly Bike Expo. The jacket is windproof for the most part; the only exception is the zipper flap extends only 3" from the top, (misleading in the website photo) so in extreme frontal blasts a little cold seeps through. Barring that, the jacket has an incredible warmth-to-weight ratio, deep pockets, an internal chest zip pocket, a high neck, and a hood. A stuff sack is provided, but the jacket packets smaller, folded inside the left pocket. No doubt, the jacket is a good value and will ensure that I stay warm on future adventures.

Tangentially, as we lighten our camping gear, most recently using a new, 3.5 lb. two-person tent, it's apparent the tent no longer provides warmth. To save weight, the tent is constructed with mesh; the rainfly is coated ripstop nylon. And with thinner poles. It's a flimsier arrangement that requires greater care when entering and exiting the abode. No longer can I dash inside and expect instant warmth!

With the addition of a warm jacket (that can also be stuffed inside my pillow case for lumpy-free head comfort), wool socks, hat, and gloves - all of which can additionally be worn inside the tent - I should be good to go on our next bicycle tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.