Thursday, May 9, 2024

Finding Motivation to Ride without a Partner - Look for Flowers!

Trillium, Hepatica, Red Trillium, mature Skunk Cabbage among fiddleheads, Wood Anemone, and Bellwort are among the many native wildflowers found in Vermont.

 
I ride daily, seeking local adventures like hunting for spring flowers. It started with the beautifully unique skunk cabbage blossoms, a distinct sign of spring in Vermont. Their purple shells emit heat and protect honey bees pollinating the plant  - who knew such a strange-looking flower was so powerful? I've been studying Mary Holland's Naturally Curious book, a local naturalist. The book provides digestible explanations, enhanced by photos, and categorized by seasons/months, so it's easy to identify common wildlife/plants.

With abundant parks with paved and dirt trails within a short ride from home, they're easy to explore.  Soon I'll be picnicking and toting painting supplies.

My biking partner is recovering from an injury so I'm attending more organized rides. I'm mostly happy doing my own thing, but working from home means socializing occasionally is important.

Get out and ride.


1 comment:

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.