Sunday, November 19, 2023

Specialized Hard Rock Ultra - Great Utility, and Then Some!

1993 Specialized Hard Rock Ultra: unique pink and purple fade.
I didn't know I would replace my much loved Trek Antelope so soon! I have always admired 1980-1990s rigid mountain bikes for their relaxed geometry and utility - they make great all around bikes, whether that's commuting, touring, riding with family or, in colder climates are adept as winter beaters - add studded tires and don't worry too much because it's an old bike. Added bonus: frames are upgradeable with new components.

Amazing shape for a 40 year old frame! I feel very lucky.
Our youngest son is a bike mechanic at a shop that accepts bikes and parts donations - they rehab older bikes for resale or to help lower income folks get decent transportation at nominal cost. I happened to mention months ago that if he ever came across a certain model and color in my preferred 20" size, then give a holler, expecting it was like finding a needle in a haystack.

Granola handle bars set a little higher than my seat. Stem is at maximum height. I expect there will be tweaks down the road like a taller stem or bars with more rise, non-traditional fenders, etc.
I got a text and photo while I was just starting a solitary mountain bike weekend. "Hey mom, look what I found." When he said it was in great shape, it didn't take long to give him the green light. I was ecstatic of course, thinking about the possibilities, then, if I'm honest, wondering how I could personally justify this new addition, bringing what I thought was a perfect number of bicycles from 4 back to 5.

From August to November we started collecting parts. I bought the VO Granola bars as an alternative, though aligning width-wise with much loved Soma Oxford and Ritchey Kyote bars. Had the VO Crazy bars been narrower, that would've been my first choice. I also chose a loved saddle - the Terry Topo - at least for starters. 

Between our son's knowhow, sourcing new and used parts, and my industry discount - I work for Terry Bicycles - we saved money, and honestly I wouldn't have considered this project on my own otherwise. 
 

He put together a 2X assortment of components that would play nice together. The only hiccup was configuring the V-Brake setup, necessitating ordering a top tube clamp to correctly guide the rear brake cable. He also added his signature two colored spoke nipples, bordering the valve, when building wheels.

Immediate riding impression: I felt at home! I've missed this kind of comfort, 2" plush tires, and diamond frame. I immediately transferred the Jack-the-Bike-Rack for needed utility, and more recently, repainted an older, discontinued Blackburn Mountain rack, installing it fairly easily - saved from the Trek Antelope, so that old beauty lives on through this recent reincarnation. And, I have now fulfilled a dream of owning a purple bike!

Rack and my commuter pannier makes this bike more useful.

And I shouldn't have worried about the Hard Rock's place in my collection. Shortly after acquiring the frame, my husband and I rode a rugged Northern Rail Trail where my Rachel, unfortunately in her current setup, wasn't the best choice. I kept thinking how the Hard Rock would be a perfect complement, lending comfort to rough terrain.

For those seeking build details...


3 comments:

  1. Do you have favorite wheels? What does this build use? It’s fun knowing the components. In 1992 i had a Specialized that I rode all over and around Mt Tamalpais when I lived in Mill Valley. I miss that bike! (Stolen out of my truck when I later lived in SF). Nice bike Annie, so glad you got your wish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added several photos to the post. Hopefully this helps. Most components were used, and I think one hub.

      Delete
  2. Very nice. Extra special in that your son found and built it up.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.