Thursday, December 1, 2011

Mirror Mirror on the Wall...

Who is the fairest mirror of them all?

Of the four accessories that I personally consider necessary: racks, fenders, toe clips and mirrors, I would feel bike-naked without a mirror.

The Rhode Gear style that adorns both the Miyata and the Trek Antelope is versatile and adjustable. This one is from the 1990's. I like the velcro strap adjustment and wide angle lens that pivots using a hand turnable knob. I'll do anything to keep these two in working order because, sadly, Rhode Gear no longer offers this version.


Close up of the mustache bar.
It works well on flat bars, without sticking out of the end like other varieties where it becomes vulnerable should the bike fall.

Rhode Gear makes a new version of this model which has an oval mirror and  narrower scoop-shaped bracket, but the mirror doesn't move as freely and have the range of motion like it's predecessor.


Close up of the position on the Trek mountain bike.
The mirror on the Trek sticks out farther, of course, but when the bike invariably topples over the mirror bends in without harming the bracket. It's one tough cookie!

Conversely, when I acquired the Ross, I didn't want to spend a lot on another mirror (having been enamored with the Rhode Gear style) so I've been using a simple and inexpensive Bell mirror. In my opinion bike accessories at Kmart and Toys R Us are underrated.

The Bell mirror attaches easily to the bar.
Close up of the Bell mirror and bracket.

This mirror has a bendable arm that stays - mostly anyway - in the position that you set it in. It has a similar viewing capacity. What I love the most: it takes up less space on the bar. Though of not the same quality as the Rhode Gear, I've owned this for 3 years and it does what I need it to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.