Tuesday, July 18, 2017

A Pencil Case Makes a Stylish Bicycle Tool Bag

Why spend a lot of money on a tool bag? If your tools are stored in a basket or pannier, a pencil case makes an inexpensive and attractive option. I found this beauty in our local Staples' clearance section.

My large office pannier is heavy enough without adding the extra weight of tools! 
With my previous commuter front bag, it was easy to include necessary tools (stored inside a black, barrel shaped, neoprene pencil case) plus pump, easily forgotten because all items were hidden beneath material. Using the new basket set-up required a different mindset, regarding tool storage with easy access. And the more I thought about it, it made sense to use a larger tool bag to also accommodate my pump.

The new bag has a low profile so I can easily stow other items along with my tools, like my weekly farm share produce.
A color coordinated bungee cord holds the case inside the wire basket, and also allows easy removal in case of inclement weather. Tuck the stylish bag under my arm or toss in my office pannier and go!

11 comments:

  1. How is your Peugeot riding Annie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Peugeot handles like a dream: comfortable, upright, and soaks up the bumps. I need to get back to you regarding missing shifter cap. I haven't forgotten!

      Delete
  2. Smart! I keep my tools bundled up in a cheap canvas bag so that it is easy to move them from one bike to another. Not nearly as stylish as your pencil case, but it works well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea! Your adaptations of ordinary bags to bike bags has inspired me - I've been looking at bags in charity shops to see what I might be able to adapt as a second pair of panniers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because we both sew, we can imagine possible re-uses of certain bags and are less limited to traditional panniers. I like traditional panniers for their touring strength - it's hard to beat them. But for everyday riding, grocery getting, etc. why not try something different if you are handy adapting hardware?

      Delete
    2. Not sure that I'm handy adapting hardware but I'm good at tying things on with bits of old inner tube!! Though having said that I have accumulated a lot of bag hardware and also recently picked up off the roadside some very good strong webbing which had probably fallen off a tractor!

      Delete
    3. Lizzie, I see you mentioned the webbing. At our lumberyard we now use a webbing to strap up our lumber loads in place of the old steel strapping that we used to use. It makes for great tie downs for bags on my bike. Knots up nicely especially after it gets used a few times. Go down to your local lumberyard and ask one of the yard guys to cut you off a couple of lengths. They will probably give it to you....I would!!

      Delete
    4. Well thank you Jim for the tip! But I'm in the UK so I don't know if your suggestion would apply here, but I'm always on the lookout for free useful stuff! I think the webbing I found had probably been used to tie bales onto a tractor. If my husband is ever with me when I spot stuff like this he sometimes says "you're not bringing that home!"

      Delete
  4. Good idea. I currently carry a few things in a ziplock type bag that I covered in duct tape. It needs replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I'm in secondhand stores or discount stores, I look for things like that. I prefer something stylish to dull black. This way I can match my bikes. Red zip ties came in handy to fasten a white basket to my rear rack. The basket fit the rack as a trunk basket and has a red and white striped canvas interior that drapes over the edges. I also found a red faux leather cylinder-shaped purse that fit inside. Weighted with contents, the purse has stayed put so far. Total cost, $8. Made my white Breezer Downtown EX more eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.