Monday, July 29, 2024

Inaugural Bike Overnight with the Specialized Hard Rock

 

In May I set out on an easy peasy 15 mile ride to meet up with my significant other for an overnight at a state park lean to. The goal was to see how the Hard Rock fared with camping weight.



My sleep system was piled atop the Jack the Bike Rack...

...with a homemade pouch strapped below. I have toured in the past with this rack, undermounting a couple items that ended up falling out on bumpy terrain using only webbing attachments. The pouch idea work better, and with daisy chain webbing surrounding the opening, the 4-hook cargo net secured both sleep quilt and pouch items in place.

The stuffed pouch rubbed a bit against one side of the V-brakes, so a little alteration is needed. However, this solution will provide added security and take advantage of the extra space beneath the rack.

I arrived ahead of my glamping partner and I was pleased at the private lean-to.

Chairs, cooler, good food, and beer - plus my guy - were welcome additions.

Packing up the dusty bike for the return ride home.

Enough pink for ya?

The trip was a success. I love when a simple overnight works out, you get to test gear, and miles of smiles is worth the simple getaway. Jack the Bike Rack works better on this older bike, keeping front weight low. As expected the Hard Rock handles touring weight just fine, and the cushy tires add a plush, comfortable ride.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you condense it all into a few paragraphs! Sounds like you had a good time. Just done my own first ever wild camp!

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.