Thursday, August 22, 2024

Bike Overnight - Amtrak One Way, Castleton to Home

Double panniers and a Soma Lucas front rack proved the best setup on Rachel.

I'm always thinking of the next weekend overnight. What new destination motivates me? Should it be one-way or two? Use Amtrak or leave from home? Foremost, the decision hedges on a dry weekend forecast and secondly, where there's an open campsite. When these factors align, usually on Thursday, then I have two days to pack, leaving on Saturday. 

Roll to the station, and remove the front wheel on board.
In July, I decided to take Amtrak 2 hours south to Castleton, then ride north on rolling hills to Crown Point State Park, one of my favorite camping spots, then homeward the next day. And bonus: my husband wanted to drive and set up the tent, so I was excited to have company for the evening.

Smiling, hydrated, and riding over the safe, wonderful, and historical Champlain Bridge crossing.
I hadn't ridden this segment of the Lake Champlain Bikeways route for about 15 years, back when I looped the southern portion - from Burlington south. I have, however, stayed at the campsite periodically, twice on my own, and once with Adele

I disembarked Amtrak, easily put my bike back together and set off. Since I originally planned to camp on my own, I carried 4 panniers, everything but the tent, which in hindsight added some difficulty, yet I was determined to see it though. With nearly 50 miles ahead of me in mid 80's heat, I grabbed some food, and set off. The route was more hilly, of course, than I remembered, and needing to cut off elevation and snaking turns, Google helped straighten the route, through orchards, over a beautiful mountain, adding more dirt roads to the mix. I was tired and ran out of water (note to self, don't ever do that again), but my husband rode from the campground, lifting my spirits, giving me liquid.

I learned how well Rachel handles with 4 panniers, so they're keepers! No jostling, rattling, or unwieldly handling. I've used front low rider racks in the past on other bikes, but the bargain Soma Lucas worked perfectly. And I was reminded again of Rachel's sweet low gearing - she climbs mountains! 


We had a milk shake, and I rehydrated from the restroom, taking a much needed break, before crossing the amazing bridge to the campground.

The evening was very warm. We roamed the campground, discovered the Samuel Champlain monument was open to visitors - who knew? We climbed the claustrophobic, circular stone staircase to a spectacular pre-sunset view of the lake and bridge. What a treat.


I did myself a favor leaving the second set of panniers in the car on Sunday morning. After early showers, a cold front moved in, and the next 50 miles homeward, was lovely! Fortified with scones, plenty of water and gentle terrain (only a few hills), the return was pleasant on paved roads. Lots of farmland, orchards, old cemeteries, and mostly quiet roads. 

Feeling like myself on the second day, I took a long break to eat a big lunch before riding the last 20 miles. The thistle-like monsters towered over me on Greenbush Road in Charlotte.

I cruised the last flat miles on the Burlington Greenway, by the Amtrak station, until reaching home.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting reading about your pannier set up. I've recently bought a new bike and purposely got a front rack included, as I want to try using front panniers. How did you find it riding with just front panniers? Would you chose to ride with those as opposed to just rear ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bicycle geometry has a lot to do with whether front panniers work well solely to carry gear. For this bike, it worked really well, and was an experiment for that ride. In the future, I wouldn't hesitate to only use front panniers but using both allows me to carry more belongings - why this bike is my touring bike.

      Delete
    2. I rode the Champlain route some years back and would love to ride it again. I had to smile when you said it was hillier than you remember. I probably would feel the same way if I returned, body older but, I hope, mind wiser.

      Delete
    3. Yup, older body trying to accomplish what I did when younger!

      Delete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.