Monday, December 11, 2023

Separation Anxiety or is it Just Winter?

The Trek Marlin 7, Specialized Hard Rock, and Bassi Rachel in dry dock until spring.

Late fall, my husband organizes our garage to accommodate both vehicles, which means deciding which bicycles must be stored in the basement. I primarily use the Peugeot commuter  (eventually shoed with studded tires) and the folder as backup throughout the winter. I like alternating between a heavy but sturdier bike and a lighter, small-wheel counterpart because of riding diversity, plus the latter is easier to clean in wet weather.

And so, every time I descend the stairs to our basement, I see my most colorful bikes and I'm wistfully longing for the day to ride them all again! It may be I'm not ready for winter, or each one is a reminder of adventures to come. I've only ridden the Hard Rock a handful of times but it's scheduled for a 2024 tour. The Rachel is a magical touring wonder and my hardtail reminds me of fun times in the woods. 2023 infused me with hope, the first time since 2020 that my husband and I rode bikes on two vacations in one year - it's no wonder I'm dreaming of the same for 2024!

1 comment:

  1. Understand, at least yours has a nice warm place to be stored, sadly we live in a 2nd
    floor apartment so we have to keep the trikes in a storage unit. Our weather for Dec
    has been cold, snowy and the trails are sloppy even with a melt at times. Infact it's been a struggle to get a good melt and a semi-decent day to get out to get FOOD, this month!
    (Can't afford a car), we use trike and cargo trailer but we should be able to do a food run on Sunday, not much time for anymore as the daylight goes quickly during the winter. LOL, we've even gotten snowed on while walking much more this year than we can remember! Happy Holidays to you and yours, all the best in 2024! Out and About on the Recumbents, BJ and Jo Ondo

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.