Thursday, November 10, 2022

A Metamorphosis - The older I get, the More Specialized the Collection


Selling a bicycle recently, I was updating the ubiquitous bike collection page that most bloggers seem to have, when it struck me that I've sold bicycles that were once my primary rides, that are now part of a distance past. It's funny that with all the angst, indecisiveness that clouded my vision (and filled up the garage), once a decision was made, I never looked back.

It seems to happen with age. An ill-fitting bike is difficult to part with even though it has memories. Once our memories align with present day reality, then it's much easier to let go. And, of course, memories do not fade because the bicycle has passed to someone else. My 60 year old body has accepted that it cannot tolerate certain styles of bikes, or those with harder gearing. 

Looking ahead is the best course of action. Find a style of bike that suits you, often opening up opportunities for different ways to travel. I'm looking at you, Dahon. Or pick up a mountain bike for off road adventure. The more I ride rail trails and easy single track, and remove interactions with automobiles, the happier I've become.

Even though I no longer foresee multi-month self-supported bike tours in my future, it doesn't mean that I won't have grand adventures. I like destination exploration by bike, especially if it involves a history lesson. Take the train and a bike for a week or two's riding exploration. Sure, I still have hiking aspirations for long distance trails in the United Kingdom, but equally, I long to explore some of our country's rideable and growing list of rail trails too. And I've discovered many close to home, like the Erie Canal Trail, Northern Rail Trail, and Vermont's soon to be completed Lamoille Valley Rail Trail.

For now, the Dahon Boardwalk, the Trek mountain bike, the Peugeot step through (great for commuting year-round), and the newly built Bassi Rachel (lightweight set up for touring) are a specialized collection. And I'm sure it will evolve over time.

Have you struggled with these decisions? 

6 comments:

  1. I've parted with quite a few bikes over the last couple decades. Like you, I may have some feelings around the time I sell it, but for the most part, move on afterwards. The only one that still stings is getting rid of my Raleigh Crested Butte, because I liked that bike so much. But after spending nine years doing all that I could do to it to make it work, it just did not fit right. I wish that I didn't have to sell my Long Haul Trucker under duress, but I was honestly done with it. I guess the one that made me feel stupid was selling my Bridgestone XO-3: I had it for a year and a half and made a lot of changes to it, only to realize it wasn't going to work.

    -Shawn
    https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/landing-page/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to the realization that it's healthy to part with ill fitting bikes.

      Delete
  2. I've been through quite a few bikes but mostly the vintage and junk stuff I tinker with and nothing I've really had much of an attachment to.The bike I've had the longest and used to ride the most is now the bike I ride the least even though it's a good fitting practical bike. Maybe I'm just bored with it. I do struggle with the idea of letting it go.

    Off topic.. I just seen a headline from the New York Times this morning titled "The Bike Thieves Of Burlington, Vermont". I'm unable to read the article though. I'm curious if it's a big problem or a new problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the article, Randy, but understand our region's problems. Less of a police presence, higher drug problem means more thieves. We also have a large population of renters who have to leave their bikes outside locked to porches.

      Delete
  3. I have three bikes now - my everyday commute which is actually a trekking bike. It is now 15 years old and I love it dearly. My cargo bike got a lot of use for many years but not so much now. I can’t bear to part with it. My Dahon folder, for weekends away, is also much loved. All the bikes have been tweaked to suit me. I can’t see any other bikes in my future. Or so my husband hopes!

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.