Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Another Look at the Selle Royal Brand

Old, beautiful, Selle Royal seat on the left.

I've used a Selle Royal seat on my Miyata for many years - it came stock on the bike - and has held up well. It might even be leather. And considering it is a little wider than a normal men's seat, I wonder whether in today's terms it would be classified as a women's saddle. Back then the style was pretty standard on touring bikes. In the 1980's I covered the saddle with a gel cover, desiring more comfort when pedaling across country. Since then the seat is supportive "au natural" and I've come to measure all new seat purchases against this particular brand.


Fast forward to 2014. I was renovating a Peugeot UO 14 and discovered cork and gel ergonomic grips online by Selle Royal. Those grips turned out to be a wonderful, classy, and functional addition - so comfortable that I switched the grips over to my Clementine. Tested on a 3 day tour, the grips are keepers on this bicycle.

I'm trying out the Becoz saddle on Miss Clementine.

In 2016 I found a discounted Becoz saddle, attracted by the cork and gel style. Later I discovered it's parent company was...you guessed it, Selle Royal! After all these years the company has survived, providing inexpensive saddles, venturing into the grip market, even innovative replaceable "tattoo" style saddle tops. It's too soon to tell whether the Becoz saddle will provide the comfort I need long term on Clementine, but I'm happy to see the Selle Royal brand has survived.

Do you have any experience with Selle Royal accessories?

13 comments:

  1. I have tried the cork/gel saddle, and another version of Selle Royal saddles that is more road-bike-standard (for the life of me, I cannot recall the model). I didn't care for the standard saddle at all, but as I recall, I liked the cork/gel version, just didn't like the bike for which I was trying to use it. At the time, I think I only had one or perhaps two bicycles, so I ended up selling the saddle (or, I may have actually sold it with the bicycle). I can see how it could be a terrific option for a slightly more upright bicycle though. I even had coordinating grips that went with the cork saddle, much like the ones you have pictured above. Since then, I haven't quite found the proper more upright bicycle to try again, but I wouldn't object to trying again by any means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I end up loving the cork saddle it will surprise me. I have tended toward cut-out gel saddles in recent years for comfort and breathability, so trying a cork saddle is a stretch. I am, as you might've guessed, willing to try something new so, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

      Delete
    2. It would be interesting to try the cork gel saddle again today to see if I'd still like it. I find that my preferences have changed significantly since that time, but like you, I'm willing to give something a try. If I every have the opportunity, I would try it again - just to know, if nothing else. :)

      I would still like to try a cutout saddle. Sometimes I think it could be a great option. One of these days, I'll get around to it.

      Delete
  2. My spouse used a Selle Royal Respiro and really liked it before he switched to his recumbent. It held up well and was pretty inexpensive. I like the appearance of that Becoz saddle a lot. Very classy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Respiro is nice looking and affordable! I have never seen Selle Royal products sold in our LBS in the last 20 years so I assumed (incorrectly) that the company had gone bankrupt or was swallowed up by a larger corporation and changed its name.

      Delete
    2. Still very much alive... the shop I sometimes work in sells Selle as their only brand of saddle at the moment.

      Delete
  3. So I bought a 1980's Apollo vintage bicycle wich I ended up restoring and was about to replace the saddle on it until I actually road it. Yes you guessed it was a Selle royal most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a common saddle on 1980's bicycles, good to see they can still be found on old bikes. :)

      Delete
  4. I had a Selle Royal on my touring bike. It eventually needed replacing, I was told the Becozz would be as good or better.

    Hated it. Never got comfortable. I gave up and bought a nice wide Brooks. Totally in love now ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If our LBS had one of those saddle programs (where you pay to try out all sorts of styles) I would totally try out a Brooks.

      Delete
    2. I wish I would've thought of that when I had excess Brooks saddles sitting around in a few different models. I could've shipped them off to people to let them try them out. If it ever happens again, I will definitely give that some consideration. Maybe just have the person pay for shipping? I'm not sure how it would work, but that might not be a horrible idea.

      Delete
  5. Let us know how that saddle works out. The grips are very unusual and look comfortable. I'm riding cut out gel saddles that seems to work well for me. The longer distance saddle I use is the Terry Liberator X gel. Works better on touring/road bike geometry. My bottom is not suited for Brooks. Wish it was. It always breaks me before I can break one in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of Brooks, I presume your readers know that Brooks is owned by - Selle Royal.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.