Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Slow Rolling with Adele - Sheldon to Swanton and Back

Highlights included beautiful foliage, a smooth section of trail, and wonderful conversation.

Slow rolling with Adele is a highlight of autumn riding. Even though our adventure this year was truncated to a single afternoon in mid-October, after 15 years of friendship, I marvel that we still enjoy riding together.

My commuter bike has new shoes.
It started with me frantically pumping a soft front tire while waiting for Adele's party vehicle rendezvous. I managed to install two new tires the evening before to combat a rash of recent flats, a new rear tube, though I retained the front tube with two patches. Somehow the tire held air and soon we were on our way north to Sheldon Center. I suggested we ride a segment that Adele hadn't explored of Vermont's 93 mile Lamoille Valley Rail Trail, turning around at the western terminus in Swanton.

Swanton's ReStore signage. Bikes were outside in the weather and we forgot to ask where the accessories were located.
In Highgate Center, eagle-eyed Adele spotted a yard full of pumpkins for sale, potted sunflowers, and upon inspection, also investigated sheds full of antiques. We eventually left with the seller's business card, for later purchases. It's okay to browse while on a bike ride, but it puts a crimp in purchases, though on the upside, what better way to limit useless spending? Unlike Adele, I could care less about about browsing, but always oblige my friend.

However, several miles later, Adele knew about Swanton's Habitat ReStore and we both enjoyed one of the most organized thrift stores we've ever browsed! I bought a twin sheet set and an electric cup warmer, all of which fit in my large panniers along with painter's suits for Adele (for making costumes). It was a hilarious sight, including the stand-up pump that I decided to carry - because I could - in case I had another tire problem. 

By the time we reached the end, we were chilled and ate warm sandwiches at a pizza place before turning around for a warmer, gab session riding 10 miles back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.