Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Thoughts on Online vs Local Shopping

 

As I hunt for parts on my current build, I discovered that shopping in 2023 isn't much different than in 2020. I'm reusing as many parts from our current basement stash as possible. Tires were sitting around - our youngest son is a bike mechanic so he accumulates lots of everything! He found a used group set, but of course cables and housing are new. Saddle, rear rack, and water bottle cage are rehomed, and we're piecing a former triple crankset into a 2x setup; one ring is used, the other is new. I'm picky about handlebars so I ordered them online, using my industry discount. 

Even though the bike inventory is no longer problematic online, local shops can't carry everything. The situation is the same with other items. Take computers, for example. I ordered a refurbished model online at Best Buy to save money, even though their store location is 10 miles away. Their online outreach is broader. I tried to buy gouache paint at our local Michaels craft store - they told me to get it online! The same thing with fabric - I was looking for a particular color of rip-stop nylon for a project. I pedaled to a Joann's store but came up short. At home, I easily ordered 1 yard and it's getting delivered in a week, combined with other items in my cart to save on shipping. 

I'm not sure how I feel about shopping locally anymore for hard goods. I don't mind searching in one store, but my browsing days are over. Gas is expensive and visiting shopping malls across town, in my opinion, is just not worth it. Sure, I can still bike there, but the pandemic has altered my shopping habits. It's easier to shop from home and be done with it. 

Have your shopping patterns changed?

5 comments:

  1. While I love the concept of buying local, it's not always possible, especially if you are like me and have some esoteric tastes. In that case, often these things can't be found locally. And like you, I don't relish the whole spending all day riding around town looking for a specific item.

    I'm thankful that there is a good variety of shops here in Portland and I can sometimes find those weird, esoteric things (thank you, Clever Cycles), but often I know there's no point in searching. For example: tires for my Raleigh Superbe. Because it's an obscure and almost obsolete wheel size, if I do find anything in town, it'll be the most basic version of it. So I just know that I'll have to buy online. Yes, I can get a store to order it for me, but that will usually take 2 to 4 times longer than me getting it (depending on when they are going to place a new order in), and often more expensive than me buying online.

    I am glad that at least with one of my hobbies, film photography, I have some great shops in town like Blue Moon so it's rare that I order film online, and if I do, it's usually via Blue Moon for an in-store pickup. I wish more places had that option. The big art supply chain, Blick, has a local store. The shop doesn't have everything that they have online. Once I asked about ordering and getting store pickup, and they said I'd still be charged for shipping. Whereas I can go to the website and get stuff for cheaper than in store (?) and if I buy enough, shipping is free. It makes no sense.

    -Shawn
    https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/landing-page/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to buy local when I can but we have no clothing or shoe shops in the town and limited tech supplies so a 20 mile drive to Carlisle or online shopping is often a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole shopping for parts has changed drastically. Now I always call a local store to make sure they have the part I need before trekking over. Online is a fantastic resource. The whole shopping experience is totally different from 2000 or earlier. I have had good luck getting hard to find bicycle parts online at good prices. The online world has forced local shops to curb their mark up on parts and I now call local shops for availability and price because they can beat online prices at times so it is good to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I still prefer to ride out to the local area to find what I need most of the time. Still I do use the internet site more than I use to as I used to not use them at all!

      Delete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.