Friday, October 28, 2022

A Special Ride on the Northern Rail Trail in New Hampshire

I've tried new bike trails this autumn, from the Hudson Valley to Ottawa. While those were specific bike destinations, other times we find ourselves choosing trails tangentially, attending events that happen to have bikeable trails nearby, like earlier in June. It was the later situation that drew us to West Lebanon, New Hampshire for a day in early October. My husband needed surgery (he's fine) so while he was at his procedure, I planned to check out the Northern Rail Trail, if the weather was agreeable. 

I brought my Dahon, mainly because it could be safely stowed in our vehicle if walking proved a better option. While my husband was in the hospital, I easily accessed a connector trail right from the hospital lot that brought me to one end of the Northern Rail Trail.

I started out in light rain (with improving forecast) and was worried that my small wheels might be dangerous on leaf-covered asphalt, but I kept a straight line and avoided quick turns, which lent confidence. After 3 miles, the surface turned to gravel, a bit rough in spots, but doable with better traction.

I was grinning, of course, because the autumn colors were stunning! And the trail is nearly 60 miles long!

Mascoma Lake - what a sight to behold!

I was also experimenting with a Klickfix type bag and adapter secured to the handle post. So far so good on a less than ideal gravel with periodic larger stones, often hidden beneath leaves. No jostling!

Sturdy bridges provided river views.

At 12 miles I turned around, realizing the grade descended somewhat so I arrived at the starting point a faster than expected. I went the other direction, exploring the connector trail, to it's terminus then doubled back to the hospital to check on the patient.

My bike was filthy! It took several minutes of cleanup before stowing it in the car, but wholly worth the great adventure. Northern Rail Trail, I'll be back!

1 comment:

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.