Thursday, January 13, 2022

Ideas for 2022

While plans could change in an instant, I expect 2022 to be similar to 2021, so it's important to roll with whatever situation arises. But that doesn't mean we'll be stagnant. On the contrary, there are plenty of ideas to be creative, get outdoors, and ride!

I have a few fun bike projects on the agenda, focusing on further fine-tuning bike setups and go on more bike overnights, whether close to home or planning mini-vacations. Amtrak is set to roll into Burlington sometime in 2022, so close proximity for a one-way adventure is always a possibility!

  • Replace rear panniers on my commuter bike. I appreciate smaller panniers for shorter rides, reserving large capacity bags for touring. While the Delta panniers have held up well for low-cost storage  for 10+ years, they're falling apart. I'm interested in trying Vincita's economical roll top version. The bags are offered in a variety of colors and include a rain cover.
  • My goal with my folding bikes is figuring out a solution to carry additional gear on the handle post. I'm limited to bags attached in this manner (without a frame block), so I'll need to pay attention to upfront weight. I'm considering a bag with Klickfix handle post adapter setup in addition to my purple bag. At present, I'm interested in the thoughtfully designed Head Tube Bag by Downtube Nova. As a fallback, there's always the option to carry a small backpack. For rear loads, I'm attracted to Downtube Nova's low cost rear Coconut Bag with foldout pockets. While I currently use the retrofitted sling bag converted panniers, the trunk bag may offer larger capacity at a nominal cost plus consolidate rear bags into a one piece design.
  • Replace handle bar on Trek Marlin 7 for more comfort. I plan to swap the straight handle bar with an ergonomically friendly version. I was initially interested in the Tumbleweed Persuader, Soma's Odin and Dream Riser. I'm currently leaning toward Ritchey's Kyote. The Kyote seems like the sweet spot between comfort, affordability, and correct width. In addition to a more enjoyable hand position, my son has already purchased a beefier front tire for me so I'll be shredding mountain bike trails with more traction and comfort in 2022.
  • I hope to commute to work part-time at some point if our current health situation improves. I'm looking forward to pedaling to an office again!
  • We're attending a wedding on Cape Cod in June, where I hope to spend a few extra vacation days to enjoy riding on trails to more Atlantic beaches.
  • I have a new camping stove, which makes me want to expand my local overnight camping horizons. It would also be an opportunity to test the new setup on the Dahon.
  • And, quite the opposite, I'm also dreaming of riding to a cabin or hotel for an easy, pampered overnight experience. That would be a fun, novel adventure for my husband and me!

3 comments:

  1. Always good to have plans Annie. Hopefully the restrictions will gradually decrease, as is happening here and we will adapt to living with the virus and taking appropriate precautions so travelling further afield will return. I have a feeling that it will come down to individuals making choices and using precautions that suit them.
    Good luck with your modifications and show us the end results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m a bit of a bag lady so have several panniers of different sizes and purposes. The Basil ones are very pretty and have lasted a long time. Nothing beats Ortlieb for functionality, if only they were stylish too! I have one Po Campo rack top bag and the attachment set up drives me batty. I use it as a handbag most of the time.
    I have enough variety to not need (or want) anything for a very long time. Yet I sometimes daydream about having a Hill and Ellis pannier - never going to happen!
    Hoping your plans work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bags also! Any excuse to get new ones...but I have a self imposed meter that helps. Items must go out the door before getting new ones. This has helped since a major purge when we moved 2 years ago.

      Delete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.