Sunday, February 14, 2021

In Love with the Bern Muse Winter Helmet

Bern Muse helmet in action.

As previously mentioned, my goal was to ride throughout the 2020-21 winter. Along with getting the right footwear and longer length windproof jacket, I found a comfortable insulated helmet: the Bern Muse. 

I tried on numerous brands of ski helmets at our local Sierra Trading Post - to keep the cost down, especially if I was adding a third helmet to my collection! I immediately fell in love with a purple colored Scott brand, but the padding was too thick, which pinched my head. The Bern Muse is geared towards burly helmet protection with a lightweight liner, in the classic visor style - indeed the overall helmet weight was half of the heavier padded options, which I knew would translate to less neck strain on longer rides. Definitely a better trade off - getting the right fit was critical as I wanted the helmet to be part of my routine winter setup.

The color scheme is not my favorite (only choice in my size), but the removeable liner and full coverage ear flaps won me over.

The back of the helmet has a clasp for goggles.

Since November, I've tried various weight balaclavas, neck warmers, and beanies underneath so I'm not overheating on rides. I've settled on a lightweight balaclava or thin wool beanie plus a thin neck warmer  to use as a makeshift mask when passing other riders. Goggles have helped during snow blinding conditions for depth perception or to keep my face warm, but generally I have a love/hate relationship with goggles in conjunction with mouth/nose coverage - feeling like I can't breathe in addition to partially fogged goggles. 

The Bern helmet completes my necessary winter riding trifecta: adequately covered head, hands, and feet - items that should serve me well for years to come.

6 comments:

  1. Looks a warm helmet Annie. A friend was telling me about helmets with MIPS, Google it, which is new to me. This arose because on a group ride someone came off and had concussion. I like the goggles too, I have just bought some cycling glasses, Siroko, with perscription lenses and I wish I had got the many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of the MIPS helmet system. Just not sure they're worth the extra premium when traditional helmets have served me well.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, never thought of a Winter Helmet, always just wore a skull cap with ear flaps and if I had to pull a shower cap over the top of the normal helmet!! May have to look at your Bern if I can find a local dealer to try one one, thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter riders tend to wear something similar. There are many downhill skiers in Vermont so riders often already own a ski helmet. Before I bought this helmet, I used to wear a thick balaclava, which became a tight fit beneath a summer helmet. With 3-5 months of cold temps, having headspace - with ear flaps especially - means ample, comfortable space for a toasty noggin and the ability to add headwear if needed. It suits the style of riding that I do and I never worry now about being cold.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking helmet. I do like the colors. Definitely looks warm with that liner.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.