Sunday, January 31, 2021

My Favorite Winter (Cycling) Boot - The Storm Chaser

I've found the best easy slip-on winter boot that's perfect for walking, driving, and has brought my winter cycling to a new level: LL Bean's Storm Chaser Boot. 

With a thick sock the footwear is loose enough to trap heat - indeed I can wiggle my toes - yet with a stiff sole and heavily insulated interior, plus a waterproof exterior, is perfect for whatever a Vermont winter throws our way.

This is the first time that my feet are warm and dry while riding a bike. I'm amazed that I generate heat - if you're a cyclist you know how difficult it is to keep extremities warm. Yesterday, I cycled for 1.5 hours in 10F weather and was pleasantly warm, even while struggling homeward against a biting wind. Now that's a good boot!

Decent, grippy tread plus a removable inner sole that provides arch support.
Comes in a variety of styles and colors.

I'm thrilled when I discover new gear that aids in my outdoor enjoyment. What have you found that helps you appreciate winter?

6 comments:

  1. I've kept my feet warm and dry this winter by wearing waterproof socks over my usual bike socks and then overshoes on the shoes. So far my feet have been toastie and dry. Its worked well for me but not as colourful as your shoes Annie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try waterproof socks at some point because I've heard great reviews. Glad you also approve.

      Delete
  2. Annie, what cycling gloves do you use? Although we dont have the cold temps you have its still cold here 0 C at the moment. Despite having good gloves and wearing liner gloves my finger tips still get cold. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, when temperatures drop below 40F I have to wear mittens, and depending on winds, I either use thick fleece mittens or an insulated mitten with attached windproof exterior (that's not easy to dry out later but does the job0. In the future I'd like to try the chopper mitts, which are leather outer mitts with removeable wool liner. All these options are probably overkill for your climate.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Annie, I'll investigate mittens.

      Delete
  3. Those look like very good boots. I have gone for wearing wind and waterproof socks under my normal biking shoes and I have found that they are very good but I don't cycle if it is below 4 degrees C. I wear the wind and waterproof socks for walking too and they have been very good at keeping my feet warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.