Sunday, September 3, 2017

Bargains at Terry's Tent Sale

Several years ago Terry Bicycle company relocated to Burlington, Vermont. I've admired their saddles for close to 20 years, but as with many seats, I find the cost prohibitive to take a chance on a saddle that might not provide long-term comfort.

Terry holds an annual tent sale, and after buying a black wrapper skirt (a leftover from the sale) at Goodwill and loving the style, I made sure to attend Terry's sale this year. I was immediately drawn to a basket of touring saddles and picked out a 20.00 Butterfly. There were beautiful leather versions also (for twice the price), but I generally avoid them because of the care involved and the need to cover leather saddles in inclement weather.

I'm fond of cut-out saddles.
The new saddle adorns Miss Clementine and is a big improvement over the stock saddle!

I like the two front slits lined with reflective tape plus hidden zipper pocket.
The fun was just beginning! I found a blue/grey version of my favorite wrap skirt. My shorts selection is getting threadbare so these skirts provide coverage and style, and come in handy wearing into my workplace or doing errands. I've also worn them on pleasure rides, really, almost anywhere. On longer jaunts I hike the skirt up in back so there's no bunching or extra seams to cause discomfort.

These skort wrappers are constructed of nylon and polyester.
I left with two items, but on the last day - in fact the last hour -  of the sale I cruised by on my bike, turning in to take a second look. It was my lucky day! The remaining merchandise was marked down 50%. I left there with a green wrap skirt plus a pretty, grey-patterned fleece skirt.

The wrap skirts have side zips with two-snap fasteners to secure a wide, comfortable waistband.

The black and blue versions have adjustable rear closures, which I like. The green style in the same size has some flexibility in the back elastic, but is a bit snug and is slightly shorter in length - the difference in yearly models.

 I'm pleased to have a fleece skirt, if only to wear walking in winter or over tights for office wear.

Easy to wear.

Provide ample coverage over shorts or a flattering look over tights.
I'll be sure to check out Terry's tent sale in 2018.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't the primary purpose of those plastic bags that come from grocery stores - to cover expensive leather saddles in inclement weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Shower caps from hotel rooms come in handy for this purpose, much better than grocery bags that invariably have a hole in the bottom! And, after seeing what a friend bought: a white leather Terry saddle, I have to admit they are beautiful. I might eat crow in the future.

      Delete
  2. Lucky! Great deal on that saddle. I have saddle envy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that I like a lot of Terry's clothing/cycling options (I actually bought the same fleece skirt on clearance online... it didn't work well for me -- sadly, I don't have your lovely long, slender legs -- but I thought the exact same as you -- that it would be great over tights in the winter). One thing I REALLY appreciate about Terry is their "buy, try and return if you don't like it" policy. I've done so with shorts and saddles, and have been very grateful that they are so willing to allow this to cyclists. I always hope that people don't abuse it so they will be able to continue to offer it. Fortunately, much of what they make works well for me, so I rarely have to return after using (or I can tell just trying on whether it will work or not).

    Sounds as though you were able to get some fantastic deals being local! A $20 Butterfly is definitely a bargain of which many would be envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do feel lucky. It's nice to wear something fashionable for once because it's affordable. I tend to shop at Goodwill so the tent sale made a lot of things possible. I was ready to order another Nashbar saddle for the Clementine but for the same price it's nice to try something different.

      Delete
    2. I think you made some great finds, and hopefully the Butterfly saddle will be perfect for the Clementine.

      Up in the mountains last year, we made a stop at a second hand store (actually two of them as we were searching for a beanie that would fit under a helmet), and I was amazed at the amount of suitable outdoor clothing finds at bargain prices (I think it helped that we were in the mountains and a lot of clothing tends to get abandoned by hikers and cyclists coming through). If the right size can be found (or even be tailored after purchase), I think these are great spots to shop. I worked at a Goodwill in high school and used to buy a large portion of my clothing there, but I was still surprised by how much was available and appropriate for outdoor activities.

      Delete
  4. There is nothing better than a good bargain...Looks like you did well with your bargain purchases...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a very nice saddle. I'm sure a cutout must be a good idea, better than just the indent my Bontrager one has. Incidentally I bought that to replace the stock saddle that came with my Koga - it was the same model, in theory, as the one I've got on my old Trek, but as always seems to happen when they bring out new models, it's not identical, so although it's still pretty comfortable, I prefer my old one.

    I'm not familiar with Terry saddles, although I've heard of them, so I googled what looks similar to yours, and am curious about the width - all the Butterfly women's saddles seem to be 155 mm. Do you feel it's the right width for you i.e. do your sit bones feel as if they're in the right place? Have you ever had them measured or done your own measuring (sitting on corrugated cardboard!). I use the widest of my Bontrager model https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equipment/cycling-components/bike-saddles/bontrager-nebula-plus-womens/p/11790/?colorCode=black

    which is 180mm.

    I'm surprised in a way that I need this size, as I'm slim, but maybe that's nothing to do with sit bone size. Maybe it makes a difference if you have had children. Or maybe it's the size of one's feet - !! - might sound silly but I have always understood that the size of your feet indicates the size of your pelvis, so I was glad to have biggish feet, knowing it might make giving birth easier (if it did I dread to think what it would have been like with a smaller pelvis!!).Should have measured my sit bones before getting pregnant (1982...).

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.