Wednesday, March 13, 2024

How Do You Get Ready for an Adventure?

Trying out a new, lightweight jacket.

Reservations aside, I find it's the little tasks that seem daunting, so I tend to spread them into manageable chunks, ahead of time. I pile critical items about a week ahead of travel in a corner of our bedroom. 

I run cold, so being warm is paramount. This year I added a lightweight, synthetic, and compressible jacket to my travel wardrobe, which should provide immediate warmth on any cycling adventure. 


I never liked my current toiletries bag, so I took the opportunity to create my own, using lightweight material and, of course, in my favorite color.

The current adventure involves my Dahon. I cleaned the drivetrain and our bike mechanic son tuned the shifting. I'm taking it for one final test ride this evening.


I opened the seam on the flap and added 3+" of webbing.
I primarily use a large front bag to carry almost everything! It's definitely a minimalist hauling system, but works well for Amtrak travel (one bag and my bike folded into a large tote). I knew I needed more front buckle expansion. The flap barely closed before, but now that I extended the top webbing, there's more leeway to stuff extra items and cinch it closed. I'm pleased with the result.

I'm very excited to attend the Philly Bike Expo, starting Saturday. See you there? 

2 comments:

  1. A packable jacket/vest, whether synth or down fill, is definitely a must! I'm not the biggest fan of them (especially since they are overdone here on the West Coast), but when you need that warmth, they are great.

    Best,
    Shawn
    https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/landing-page/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good preparation is half the fun of an adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.