Sunday, February 10, 2019

Frankenbike - An Antiquated or Appropriate Term?

My initial understanding of a FrankenBike: an oddly, unique bicycle. Image found on Twitter. 

The term FrankenBike has always bothered me, but as I've discovered, it's more the name itself than the actual process: as defined by the Urban Dictionary "a bike built up from various components scrounged from different sources (friends, swap meetscraigslist, etc.)."

My first impression was a bike that was instantly recognized (pictured above), unique in frame style certainly, but functional. Possibly a bike to be used at special events, for short distances.

A typical commuter Frankenbike. Photo credit: The making of a Frankenbike.

But then I started seeing various bicycles called Frankenbikes, and many styles that resembled typical  commuter bikes.

I became confused. Was a Frankenbike a broad term for any bike cobbled together from various parts?

Digging deeper, I discovered Frankenbike's origins derive from FrankenBike swap meets in Austin Texas. This is a German settled area, so thus the reference to Frankenstein (in it's logo) and my image of a miscreated or abnormal bicycle. And interestingly enough, as I understand it, only bike related parts are sold, which means the term FrankenBike has taken on a life of it's own as a loose term for actual functioning bikes created from a swap meet collection (or Craigslist, or a local used parts dealer, etc.)

Apparently the term is fairly liberal.

I wouldn't classify the good work that Beth does, rescuing frames and making serviceable bikes for new Americans, or the cool Randy creations as Frankenbikes, because in reality, I think the term has strayed from it's origins. But then again, beauty, functionality, and exacting descriptions in this day and age of  plentiful, diverse new and used components remain in the eye of the beholder. 

What I do know is I'd love to attend a FrankenBike swap meet!

What do you think about Frankenbikes? Does the terminology bother you?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention Annie. I'm ok with the term and as defined by the Urban Dictionary, I think it's probably an appropriate term for many of my bikes which are built from the frame up using a mismatch of parts gleaned from dumpsters, swaps and friends. If a person takes a stock bike and swaps parts out over time, at what point does it become a Frankenbike or is it just Modified or Custom? Other bikes of mine I refer to as Ratrods which are vintage frames with a mix of old an new parts and Freakbikes like my tall and swing bikes. I love that bike pictured in the first photo of your post and I would consider it a custom or freakbike depending on the reason it was built.
    One thing's for sure... whatever label you give, or term you use to describe a bike, there's a dozen people waiting to tell you you're wrong lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly love the bikes you construct; they're attractive, color coordinated, and functional. You're right, of course, probably there is more than one name to describe alterations to a bike. Whenever that F-word pops up, I feel it's a demeaning description, like the creator doesn't have the means to buy new, etc. This topic provoked an interesting family discussion!

      Delete
  2. I'm not opposed to the term frankenbike at all, though I'm not likely to use it to describe my own ride. I prefer "bicycle" or "bike" :) My own bike has taken on a lot of various parts over the years, mostly from online or the local shop, but the bike itself (frame, forks, original wheels/tires etc) was a basement find. Each part was chosen to improve the function of the bike in various ways. First the rear rack, which initially supported just a trunk bag, though nowadays I use a trunk bag + panniers every day. Then fenders: first some plastic junk available at the bike shop, and then some alumnium models bought online. Lights have been an evolving choice, too. I've upgraded to better models as I've learned more through riding.

    So, is my bike a frankenbike, or a ratrod, or whatever other time become popular tomorrow? I have no idea. It's far from the worst label to have been applied to the bike. Labels that others choose for the bike don't affect it, nor me, nor my enjoyment of it, so why should I bother getting worked up over the term?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bike whose frame and handle bars are original, but otherwise all parts have been replaced. I wouldn't label that a Frankenbike either!

      Delete
  3. We in our household are guilty of attaching "franken" to many things that we build from found pieces, scrap, friends, piles or refuse, etc. We've had franken-cars, franken-bikes, franken-houses (or parts of houses), franken-clothing, etc. Obviously, we don't take issue with the term because we use it liberally. I like using the term though because it means we took something unusable, ugly, discarded, or the like and made it something we can use. I suppose I don't look at the term "franken" as a negative though, but rather taking something that no one could love and making it something that someone could enjoy or find beauty in, if that makes sense. I really enjoy making usable, functional, pretty things out of things that absolutely weren't at their found point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, so you use and like the moniker! But I also understand it's just a name and a catchy term at that. Thanks for your viewpoint, GE.

      Delete
  4. Interesting bikes and an interesting question. I admire those with the skill and knowledge to build bikes from scratch parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. What an amazing skill set. My son has built two bikes so far and I like watching him do his thing.

      Delete
  5. A term I have certainly used and I would define as you did "a bike cobbled together from different pieces to make functional", emphasis on function over form. The Schwinn traveler III "campus bike" I put together last spring for instance

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.