Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What, You Don't Clip In?

It's surprising that as people get to know me and the frequency that I ride, aquaintences invariably say "You don't use clipless pedals?" I am usually taken aback at their comment, as if it's a prerequisite that there comes a time when one must switch or "upgrade." Because I use toeclips does that peg me as a novice, or define me as an inferior rider versus those who click-clack through the grocery aisles?

"It's more efficient," a friend recently said, "so I'm surprised that you don't." Efficient, how so? I'm a stop and go traveler around town. I even place my feet on the pedal's flip-side, avoiding the cages altogether. Sure, the plastic traps scrape on the asphalt, but at least it's not a hazard whereas I imagine using clips might be awkward. And when I ride to work it's an all-out push for 11 miles, but I still can't see using the clipless system then or even on tours. It's never made sense to buy into this newer "efficient" technology, wearing special shoes, and less so now that I own 3 bikes. So, without getting into a long explanation, my response to these inquires is usually, "It's what works for me."

More often than not, these comments come from sport cyclists—though not always. It seems there's a segment of the cycling world that's brought up to assume that riding a bike requires clipless pedals. Getting back to my friend, she owns two bikes with two different clipless systems, so she owns two unique types of cycling shoes. How is that efficient? She admired my bike sandals, which was how the conversation began, and liked that they could be used (cutting the rubber sole to expose the cleat) on her type of pedal. Or without, as in my case. I'm no dummy to the advantage of stiff-soled footwear. It's the odd-shaped specialized pedals I could do without.

I concede that clipless pedals provide more efficiency if you ride a lightweight bike and race. But remember, it's a personal preference. So if you pass me, just say "hi", because I'll be tooling along, happy in my footwear with pedals of choice and smelling the flowers en route.


13 comments:

  1. I too love my pedal cage which is what I have on my road bike. I was advised to not instal them on my mountain bike which is what I use to commute to work. I miss them! I'm not riding off road anyway so will be putting them on that bike as well. My mom (age 75) has clips on her pedals and likes that system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rode with toeclips for about 4o years, but as I used to compete I switched to the newer clipless system on my race bike. I found I really liked the system so then added SPDs to my tourer and my training bike.
    For me I like being firmly attached to the bike with a super stiff sole.....but hey....we all do what suits our style and there is no right or wrong.....

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never use clipless (I did try em once,didn't see any "benefits",LOL!). Even on my road bike (which is a CX'er),I use,abuse and love platforms. And like you said,I enjoy being able to wear whatever shoes I want (with no clickety clack). Rock on,my friend,those who think they MUST use clipless are "pro wanna-be's",I been riding since I was 4-5,I'm 39,FWIW :)

    The DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never used clipless pedals. I used to use toeclips when I raced in triathlons, but now I don't want to ride that hard so don't even bother with them, though I did appreciate them when I had them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used clipless and would possibly again, if I were flush enough to purchase a road bike specifically for faster, mid-range joy rides. But, I'm the same as you Annie. I cycle for transport. Not only am I hopping on and off the bike, but, I could be wearing anything from Chuck Taylors to snowboots to brouges - so, I don't even use toeclips. I use honking fat BMX platforms instead that make cycling comfy with any sole. The only shoes I haven't cycled in (so far) are my fluffy slippers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh BB, I do get a kick out of your comments. They make me chuckle. I could possibly see getting rid of toeclips at some point, but for now they make the hilly terrain around here much easier to negotiate.

      Delete
  6. Annie - as you know I own bicycles with and without clipless pedals. On one of my last group rides (a casual ride) I decided to bring and ride my steel road bike, which doesn't have the clipless pedals. I keep getting the same annoying question from one rider, "when are you going to get clipless for that bike." I smile and say, never, and I get the look. He's always checking everyone's pedals :). Stop already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Sue. Some of us know we don't always have to buy into every innovation in the cycling world.

      Delete
  7. I've gone full circle on clipless pedals. I started using them because I was getting foot numbness, and for a while I could ride a bit longer without getting numbness. One of the mechanics at the bike shop told it was like having a third leg when climbing. If only that were so. During the winter I found that my 2 small toes would be numb and white unlike the rest of my toes that were red, so assumed I wasn't getting good circulation to those toes. The final straw that sent me back to platforms was the tendinitis I was getting in my knees by utilizing the up stroke. I recently purchased the Velo Orange City pedals because they were quite light with sealed bearings and I really have found them to be quite comfortable. I ride in sneakers and move my foot around on the pedal if any of the old numbness creeps up and the freedom to just hop on my bike without special gear is great.
    AC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comment. I'm glad you found a system that works for you so you can still turn the wheels.

      Delete
  8. I love clipless and that firm attached feeling. Toe clips are cool too. I do prefer to be attached somehow. I like the pedals with a real platform on one side for normal shoes and a cleat thing on the other for less sporty bikes.

    What I like, however, has nothing to do with what you like or should like. I don't know why people sometimes get these mental MUSTS in their heads... I try to resist MUSTS for others as much as I can. Thanks for the reminder! Now I MUST be going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MUST you, really?

      But wait. I MUST tell you something. If people weren't always trying to convince us of the next great cycling gear, we wouldn't have anything to RANT or post about, now would we?

      Delete
  9. ...Its what works for me... a great sentiment I have gone from clipless only -Speedplay- in my old wannabe racer days, to dual sided Shimano PD M324s but since I ride almost exclusively on the platform side I am getting some MKS Sneakers and calling it good. My favorite cycling shoes with clips were my Keen Sandals with cletes - a slightly higher zoot version of your Nashbar sandals.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.