Thursday, June 22, 2023

Ditching the Mirror

For a while I've ridden without mirrors on any of my four bikes. It wasn't a conscious decision and evolved over time, with switching handlebars, updating controls, etc. I meant to reinstall mirrors but learned I hardly needed the rearview vision with my current style of riding: mostly upright bikes with better awareness, on bike paths, rail trails, and dirt roads. Funny thing is, I used to be an advocate of mirrors, but now I'm happier, avoiding contact with automobiles, thus the accessory became unnecessary. 

What has been your experience?

3 comments:

  1. While I've definitely acknowledged their utility, I could never really get into bike mirrors. I've used a helmet-mounted one for a few tours, and while it was useful for seeing what's behind me, I found it more distracting than useful, since the way a helmet mirror is set up, one eye always has it in its sight. I feel like I got a few headaches from this, as my eyes were wanting to focus on the road ahead but my left eye was distracted by the view behind. It doesn't seem like a bar-mounted mirror would have the same problem, but I could never figure out a spot to mount one.

    Now as I get older and more stiff, the "turn around to see what's coming" gets harder, so I should definitely revisit mirrors.

    Best,
    Shawn
    https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/landing-page/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, maybe I'll revisit mirror use in the future. The only time recently, that I missed a mirror was pedaling an on road segment of the Erie Canal.

      Delete
  2. I don't like riding without mirrors these days because if I look back I am definitely in danger of falling off my bicycle

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.