Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Bassi Rachel - Dialing in the Fit

Bassi Rachel, complete with racks, fenders, two bottle cages, and foot retention straps.

I have finally set up the Bassi Rachel to my liking! For touring, there are racks and fenders, and a handlebar cushioned for a change of hand positions. Most importantly, the cockpit is comfortable, finetuned for optimal body position.

In record time, compared with the former Clem-entine.

Our son also clipped the support brackets on the fenders so there's less hardware to catch on my shoes.
I installed the front fender one evening, but couldn't fathom how to install the rear one with included clamp-type bracket, so I set the project aside. Fortunately our bike mechanic son offered to finish. His method involved drilling a hole in the metal fender, bolting directly to the frame hole (see below). It's cleaner-looking for sure - thanks to him!


It's often preferable to build the bike from the frame up: you get to choose components. I have light, tubeless wheels, I asked for a setback seat post. I chose easier, click-type shifting, and V-brakes for simple adjustment, 2x gearing, and a curvy handlebar for alternate hand positions.

What I hadn't anticipated, was toe overlap. I added the ugly, but customizable Power Grip straps, rather than using old school clips and straps. I'm hoping they'll prevent my shoes from whacking the front fender, potentially tearing my shoes and/or the rubber endcaps off the fender stays. I haven't used any foot retention for 5 or so years so we'll see...

As for the handlebar set up, I've used a similar approach on the Clem-entine, so I expect this will work out well.  

For fit, I realized the Bassi Rachel is designed to sit upright, more so than my previous step through bicycle - or the way I ended up using it. Once I embraced the new fit, I lowered the seat and tilted the nose upward, and raised the handlebars slightly, and all is well.

Of course, nothing like beginning a weeklong bike tour - leaving Friday - to encounter other quirks! 

2 comments:

  1. I hope it rides as well as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's certainly a lovely looking bicycle! Sounds like you're similar to me in your saddle position - I always have it almost as far back as it will go.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.