Tuesday, June 30, 2020

In Praise of the The Joe Blow Floor Pump


A floor pump is one of those understated items that a bike lover must have, yet it's neither sexy nor as exciting as new bar tape or tires. Yet without a trustworthy pump, fixing a flat tire with only a mini-pump is awkward and time consuming. After purchasing too many inexpensive floor pumps that have malfunctioned within two years, we've settled on the Joe Blow Max HP floor pump. Retailing between 30-40.00 it's not the most expensive pump, but has been a reliable companion, even after 10 years of normal use, This model has both Presta and Schraeder connections, a large, easy to read pressure gauge with sliding marker for highlighting a favorite pressure, ability to pump high pressure in a reasonable time frame, and sturdy, comfortable handles. I'd highly recommend this version if you're a home mechanic looking for a reasonably priced floor pump.

What's your advice for a decent floor pump?


8 comments:

  1. As you say they are invaluable and last well. All I can think of adding is that with any good make just check if it can be stripped down and so that any worn seals replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good purchase Annie. I sold off all my other pumps over the years from Silca to Lezyne. They all had their finicky issues. I came across an older used Joe Blow on eBay last year, and upgraded the pump head to the one like yours. I love it. For the price, I don't think you will find a better quality floor pump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same model and it has given unstinting service for around 15 years. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Joe Blow is my floor pump too, it just works. I do like the Leyzene mini pumps on my bikes so I would consider one of their floor models if Joe ever gives out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even know where my floor pump is anymore; I've been riding Fat exclusively and those low pressures are easily attained with a dinky little hand pump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have reached that point where I salvage the abandoned and nonfunctioning pumps of my wife's friends. Our latest acquisition - a Serfas with a non-working head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS: Amazon sells dual heads (presta/schraeder) for $5.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My advice for floor pumps is to 1) have one and 2) not trust the gauge on the pump as a true measure of the tire pressure. I use a car tire gauge on the tires when I need to know the true pressure in the tires. The car tire gauge is calibrated for lower pressures vs. the pump which goes up to crazy-high 140 psi.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.