Thursday, October 10, 2019

If Money Were No Object - Optimal Bike Setups


What would you do if you had endless resources to upgrade a current bike versus purchasing a new one?

I was thinking the other day, what would my dream setups consist of and if I could replace my existing bike, what would I choose? I've already figured I could get by with only three bikes *.

Dahon Boardwalk
The Dahon is almost there in terms of commuting and touring abilities on flat terrain. After a couple 30 miles rides, and recent updates to crank, adding new tires and chain, I feel confident in the folder's abilities for more travel aboard this small-wheel wonder. For hauling gear, however, I'd like compact rear panniers, but they must be very narrow to avoid heal-strike. I recently bought two sling bags, which when sewn together, should provide exactly what I'm looking for, in addition to a small duffel bag that I currently use for commuting. Plus, when possible, I prefer to use items on hand. A second wish: a wee bit lower-geared freewheel for more effortless climbing - though that's splitting hairs so-to-speak.

Dream folding bicycle: I'd happily buy a new Boardwalk because a steel frame provides comfort, plus, in my opinion, the round tubing of this particular model is timeless! But if money were no object, I'd select a Brompton because of its reputation and build quality coming out of England - as opposed to Asia. With the ability to fold and fly without hassle and expense, I'd tour overseas. Brompton's are cute and come in cool colors, like purple!

Peugeot St. Laurent
Ideally, I'd swap the current Panaracer Pasela tires for the Tour Guard/flat protected version. Otherwise, my bombproof, scuffed Peugeot continues to function well as an all-weather commuter. I'd love to have 1x gearing for simplicity - I fell in love with the easy-shifting of a rented 1x11 mountain bike recently... My Blackburn pannier continues to be a perfect complement and has held up well after my practical retrofits.

Dream commuting bicycle: For a US option, I've always admired the looks and practical functionality of the Breezer Uptown & Downtown series of step-through styles. They are more lightweight with v-brakes. I'd sacrifice a rougher ride on an aluminum frame because the metal would hold up better against salted New England roads.

Rivendell Clementine
For my step-through touring rig, I'd like to explore narrower tires, curvier handlebars, and a splash of color to complement the blue frame, plus a different rack setup. On the other hand, low gears, plush ride, finally a comfortable saddle (4th one), and adequate, unique - if a bit awkward (click through friction) - shifting all make the Clementine a beautiful build. A great base for upgrades. No problem in the pannier department - I have multiple panniers that fit normal-sized racks.

Dream touring bicycle:  With above-noted tweaks, I think Clementine is it, unless a future U.S. market handles more options for step through tourers. I'd always wondered about a built-up SOMA Buena Vista mixte and whether that set-up would've been lighter, and yet, it's still not a loop frame. I love Clementine's ease of use and isn't something I would sacrifice on a whim.

*I've purposely left out the Peugeot UO14 and Trek Antelope from the discussion. Both bikes duplicate functions and if something were to happen to either one - heaven forbid - I wouldn't replace them.

12 comments:

  1. Brompton's undoubtedly are the best folders and are ideal for taking on public transport. I tested one years ago and found that the 16" wheels made it very twitchy and also susceptible to potholes on the roads, Also the gearing on a Brompton is very limited and if any tours include hills, then its a struggle.The Dahon has the dual speed hub with 3 gears and the 8 speed cassette giving 24 gears and copes well with all the hills around here.
    For panniers I use two small front panniers and these work well and there's no heel catch, even with size 11 shoes.
    I have a Brooks saddle and spd pedals and its very comfortable for a 40 plus mile ride. Journeys / trips do take longer on it when compared to riding a full sized wheel bike. But like you I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I've been watching you tube videos lately, comparing Brompton to Dahon, and like you mentioned Bromptons are primo for foldability on public transport. I love the comfort of 20" wheels, so much so, that I often ride the Dahon to work and back - just enjoy the quick maneuverability, etc.

      Delete
  2. If money were no object, then I'd stock up on Rat Trap Pass Extralight tires and upgrade to a Rene Herse triple crankset on my current bike. I have a triple crank now and I've long ogled the RH cranksets but I just can't afford them at their prices. But then there's the ability to mix and match chainwheels.

    I'd also consider getting a top-quality dynohub and a set of dynamo lights. The ones that I have now are great but still battery-powered. It'd be very expensive, especially after investing in good head and taillights, but this is a "if money were no object" fantasy after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post Annie, for one of my bikes -the Cresta GT I already feel like I have spared no expense lol but the tweaking continues. I have really liked the Handsome devil as my 1x9 bike I would imagine your St Laurent could go 1x7 or even 1x8 without much fuss and I believe wide range mountain cassettes/FW's are available for both options. If I won the lottery I might have to look at a Riv Homer Hilsen or Roadeo. Fun to dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I get a "new" bike, I find there's a break in period to determine if I will keep it long-term, and if that's the case, then I start upgrading, etc. Even with my Clementine, I wasn't sure whether the fit was right. Now I know it's really - er, at least suspect - it's the handlebar setup. I need to explore alternatives.

      Delete
  4. Shouldn't be too hard to find a freewheel with lower gearing. A Shimano Megarange thread-on freewheel comes in six- and seven-speed versions, and I've bought them with either 28 or 32 teeth at the low end, and they're quite cheap, in the $15 to $20 range. If your rear wheel requires cassettes, SRAM's cassettes come in a wide variety of speeds and gearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What saddle do you have on the Clementine ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles/Womens-Sport/Cite-X-Gel-Saddle_2#

      Delete
  6. If I had endless resources, I'd hire a dedicated bicycle mechanic. My own sloppy work has me riding whatever bike has the least wrong with it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple more ideas came to me: 1, grips. I currently have Ergon GP1 grips on the bike, and they're comfortable enough, but I'd appreciate more hand positions afforded by the GP3s or others with bar extensions. As it is the grips have many more useful years of service ahead of them so I won't be replacing them anytime soon. 2, cantilever bosses on the seatstays. The bike has bosses for U-brakes on the seatstays, which results in only OK braking power. But that's not the driving factor here: cantilevers would offer greater tire and fender clearance than the current brake setup. As it is, Rat Trap Passes and fenders are a tight fit, but only at the rear brakes; cantilevers would offer the same or better braking power and far better clearance.

    Of these two, the GP3s are more likely to come to fruition, but someday, if I should find a framebuilder near me, I would like to upgrade to cantilevers.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.