Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Winter Cycling, a Challenge in Itself


There are different realms within winter cycling, whether it's challenging yourself to ride on snowy or only dry roads, ride at least once per month, or to be able to withstand a certain temperature. Throw in commuter cycling versus pleasure cycling and "winter cycling" covers a broad spectrum. Riding in 30 degrees in Washington DC could be very difficult for some while hearty Swedes might consider similar temperature as balmy spring riding weather. We all have different tolerances. Distances, temperatures, and lifestyles are a significant factor in whether winter cycling is doable.

Until recently I've been a fair weather winter transportation cyclist, riding only when dry roads prevail. However, something has undoubtedly changed and I've made a personal breakthrough. It wasn't one big decision, but rather a metamorphosis over the span of a couple months.

In November cold descended early upon Vermont. I struggled to complete the Coffeeneuring Challenge and pedaled on weekends in 20 degree cold aided by a thermos filled with a hot beverage.  Miraculously, I kept warm.

In December cold days prevailed, but I refused to give up weekend pleasure rides and kept at it, dressed warmly, and actually enjoyed sunshine and lake views. It was a revelation that cycling along the waterfront meant peaceful meanderings. Gone were the summer and fall crowds. Hello quiet sunsets and awesome clear air!

On New Year's Day I set out again, breathing in cool air and after stopping for a blazing sunset, popped on my lights and rode home through quiet neighborhoods.

And then, just last weekend during a cold snap I waited until mid-afternoon to get outside. The temperature had risen to 13 degrees. It would've been my first ski of the season on powder snow, and yet because it was faster to dress for bike rides, rather than switching sports and driving 2 miles to a nearby country club, I chose to spin wheels. The Burlington Greenway was sketchy, with packed snow and ice in places, but I prevailed. My feet grew chilled after a while; the remedy was jogging a bit, but that's probably my limit for pleasure rides.

Monday I rode to work in zero degrees or slightly below, depending on which weather source was accurate! I rode on snow covered paths then resorted to snow packed, gritty sidewalks with occasional bare spots. This would normally be beyond my comfort zone, but conditions were rideable and I didn't freak out, but instead slowed to a manageable speed. The downside of those conditions was that I had to clean a dirty drive train.

I don't know if I'll continue riding on weekends. I've pushed my limits - something I never expected - and broken a barrier, so only time will tell whether I will keep it up.

16 comments:

  1. First off, much thanks for a fine blog. Your entries inspired a tandem tour of your area last summer. We are looking forward to a return visit.

    Question: What are you doing to keep your toes warm in 20 degree and below weather? I commute 16 miles every day in
    similar temps and have not found a solution to this.

    Thanks
    Vic in New Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vic. I'm fine in 20 degree weather with normal boots, even while riding on weekends. Anything less than 20, well, it's hit or miss as I found out. However, I can withstand lower temps if I commute a half hour each way to work. I know I can't ride 16 miles. Have you tried chemical warmers in your boots?

      Delete
    2. +1 for the chemical warmers when it's REALLY cold. They help more than I thought they would.

      Delete
  2. In winter, the wind makes all the difference. 10F and sunny can be comfortable. Add a bit of wind and it's freak'n cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind plays a huge factor in comfort, that's for sure! A north wind in our region is very cold.

      Delete
  3. I completely agree that we all have different tolerances. I can handle colder temperatures when the sun is shining bright, but on cloudy days, even 30F can feel absolutely frigid to me in the winter. It can also be day-dependent too. Some days my insides just feel chilled and it's really challenging to warm up. I still haven't figured out the best way to keep my hands warm either (at least without the aid of some type of warmer). Too thick a glove (or too many layers of gloves) and I can't operate shifters/brakes, but one set only and my hands go numb very quickly. The chemical hand warmers do help though, so I'm grateful my MIL bought us a huge box a couple of years ago (I think she felt sorry for us riding in the cold, even though it is completely self-inflicted and voluntary). My other issue is my face. I have balaclavas, but those can present problems with fogging up glasses. One of these winters I'm going to find the perfect combination for every part of the body, I'm convinced! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear contacts so I don't have the trouble of foggy glasses, but must keep my eyes covered due to dust, etc. However, if you find a solution, please share. I know I'll be wearing glasses at some point in my life but hope to be still riding a bike!

      Delete
  4. I keep my feet warm the same way we did as kids when skating on frozen ponds. A thin pair of wool socks, then a plastic sandwich bag and another thicker wool sock. The plastic bag makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the plastic bag idea. I'll have to try that out.

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine riding in temperatures as cold as you mention! Today I rode and it was about 2 degrees C when I set off (about 35 degrees F I think) and my fingertips were very cold despite good gloves. But strangely my feet never seem to feel cold even though I only wear cotton socks! I must admit that sometimes it seems a huge effort to get dressed up to go cycling in the winter (even here where it's not so cold) but I have to say that it's always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzie, I also never imagined I would ever ride in such extreme weather! It's been a work in progress for 4 years. Little by little, I learned how to dress for the weather and discovered what I could or couldn't tolerate for conditions. I like the freedom of riding versus driving, dislike heavy traffic, or taking the bus - though I do all of the above each week.

      Delete
  6. Its not the cold that stops me cycling, admittedly we dont get experience the cold weather that you have, its the icy and slippery surfaces that I wont cycle in. Following on from Kens suggestion have you tried waterproof socks? They come with a merino wool lining and worn over cycling socks keep my feet warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of waterproof socks, but forgot about looking into them. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  7. I've continued to ride to work this week and last when the weather changed to, oh, 0 degrees F with a -12 wind chill. I never imagined doing this when I started biking for transportation 8 years ago. Now, though, riding on a frigid day is like any other, except I wear long underwear and long-sleeve t-shirt under my work clothes. I've got a plan of what to wear for most temperature ranges. I've also found it to be quite pleasant while riding on snow in this weather; there's a rather solid layer of ice on top, so rather than sinking in and fighting for every inch, I just roll over the top. In fact, I don't think that my tires sank in more than a few mms, and that's on relatively narrow 48-mm studded knobbies! Let alone a fat-tire bike...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's very interesting how we can slowly adapt to temperatures and conditions. I'm not totally comfortable riding on snow, however. i tell myself I need a fat bike! I think - for me at least - holding a very upright posture without much fluctuation in speed or side maneuvering lends a lot of comfort, plus I hold my breath and coast over the icy spots! Also, once I've mastered cold management the next learning curve is dealing with road surfaces. As I've mentioned, I don't really want to get another bike nor put on studded tires...and I may need to pare down my fleet in the near future for other reasons. I certainly struggle during the winter with wanting to walk more and ski to engage other muscles, yet riding gives me such freedom.

      Delete
  8. I agree with Dave on this one.....Icy conditions are the thing that will stop me riding in the winter.... Black ice is something that you don't see until you hit the tarmac and that is something that at my age I have no wish to repeat....The cold itself I don't have a problem with although here in the UK it is rare for us to experience extreme cold at the levels that you do.....

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.