Thursday, March 23, 2017

Adapting is Key for an Enjoyable Commute in an Evolving Climate


Last week I rode to work the day before Hurricane Stella dumped 29" of snow in our region. Then spring-like conditions prevailed, melting half of the storm accumulation. This week I've endured icy bike paths - which I walked a good deal to remain safe - and this morning I bundled up for a ride in heavenly sunshine, albeit in 3 degree, windless weather.

This is not fickle March weather in Vermont. This is the new reality of global warming, where extreme weather shifts means regular bike commuters must take precautions. Expect the unexpected. Pay attention to daily forecasts and morning conditions before heading out the door. Keep a range of outerwear handy and a back up plan for getting home, should daytime weather drastically shift, causing unsafe conditions for a two-wheeled commute.

I've accepted that I may need to overdress in a down parka for frigid morning commute, but leave it unzipped in the afternoon. It's all about adapting and being safe!

How has the changing climate affected your commutes? What is your back up plan?

5 comments:

  1. Out West, we had a La Nina, with record rain in Seattle - mountains have record snow. At our second home in Tucson, we caught some of the big rains that hit California, but more recently, we've had unseasonably warm weather (90+F). There is no denying climate change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in New England, too, so I've been adapting to the same "evolving" weather patterns. Before Stella came to town, I was riding along gloriously clear bike paths, albeit with cold weather and some persistent wind. Now the bike paths are largely snow-choked and impassable, so I'm back to riding on the streets. As for clothing, I largely stick to a wool peacoat for the varying conditions. It's suitable for everything from cold & windy days, to rain, to snow. Earmuffs and gloves protect my extremities. I usually use a wool full-brim hat, but the winds lately have threatened to blow it off my head, so now I use a wool cap.

    The weather reminds me of a conversation that I had with a coworker a couple of years ago: "Is it snowing, sleeting, or raining outside?" "Yes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We encountered the snow, sleet, rain mix yesterday! I rode to work then walked and rode the bus home.

      I think a wool pea coat makes perfect sense - certainly much better than my down parka.

      Delete
  3. I'm in N. FL and there have been many changes caused by weather change. We use to get 4 seasons but now we barely have any winter, fall or spring. As a result of warmer weather and drought in the summer for the last 2-3 years, ticks haven't been killed off, nor mosquitoes. This December while working in my yard I got a deer tick bite and was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I have since found about 5 others that have this locally, which can become very serious if not treated in time. We also have coyotes, which have expanded their territory. When hurricane hermine hit, we lost 600 big trees and the next storm brought down about that more. Weather change has caused me to change my cycling times to avoid the worse heat, or pollen, or intermittent cold. When we get rain, we either barely get it, it clouds up heavily and doesn't rain at all or we get hard rain for a day or two, then no more rain for weeks. It's worrying but I'm adapting as best I can. I'd like to move out of this state but I think many are experiencing changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are ALL experiencing drastic weather fluctuations. I think we can all do the best we can, by limiting car trips, and riding alternative transportation as much as we can.

      Delete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.