Saturday, February 25, 2017

Breathing and Cycling


How do you breathe when cycling? Do you breathe strictly through your nose, your mouth, or a combination of the two?

The question came up one evening, the cold air feeling painful in my throat as I struggled homeward, still reeling from a lengthy bout of sickness. If felt great to be bike commuting again but I realized that my usual mode of breathing - inhaling through my mouth - was uncomfortable. I resorted to 30 second bursts of breathing through my nose, then resorted to gulping air by mouth, repeating the cycle until I made it home.

I compared "breathing" notes with my husband. He only breathes through his nose while cycling and with any intense effort, like struggling up a short hill, might he open his mouth for extra oxygen. Completely opposite of me! I rely on mouth breathing, mostly, but will momentarily close my mouth on summer evenings when pedaling through a cloud of insects.

There are certainly benefits to breathing through the nose: filtering particles like dust, and in the instances of tender throat, pre-warming, pre-moistening the air before it reaches your lungs. I suspect I probably suffer from light nasal congestion, perhaps allergens, etc. so I've never been able to feel like I get enough oxygen strictly inhaling through my nostrils. And when I think about it, even when walking. There must be something about being outdoors that causes me to react this way because when I'm indoors or sleeping I prefer to breath through my nose. Either way, I'm not too bothered by my reaction because I manage cycling just fine!

With a cursory search on the Internet it seems that pro cyclists breathe through their noses and expel breath similar to yoga techniques for optimal efficiency. Not that I hold stock with the pros, but it is interesting, nonetheless.

I'm curious though, for everyday cycling, how do you breathe?

11 comments:

  1. This is like asking a spider which leg gets moved first...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been regularly cycling for 40 years and I never gave the breathing subject a thought until the other day...and as you can see many of us have unique takes on this.

      Delete
  2. I don't pay any attention to how I breathe. I just do it. Sometimes when I am along on the open road I was pay attention to my breath if my mind starts getting bored. A meditation trick. My bigger issue is asthma which pays me a visit from time to time. Then I pay attention to my albuterol inhaler. And all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I breathe through my mouth. But like you, I'm getting over a lengthy bout of illness (sore throat) so I've started breathing through my nose. And like your husband, I will breath through my mouth when I exert myself and need the extra oxygen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through my nose unless I am stuffed up or riding hard enough to need the oxygen boost from an occasional gulp of air through my mouth. But I'm a pretty lazy rider and don't push myself too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly ever push myself either...but funny how many of us have preferences.

      Delete
  5. Mostly through the mouth. Except for a few weeks after I cycled through a swarm of small insects. Then I took a deep breath before the swarm location and held it in until I'd passed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe like Kendra through my nose unless I'm congested or exerting myself. I too try to avoid pushing myself unless I have too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I count breaths while riding as a meditation technique, to 10, then start over. But zoning out too much while riding is no good, either. Through my nose, if everything is working right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the flat, I breathe through my nose - unless maybe if there is a brutal headwind. I always wear my heart rate monitor and my bike computer records all my rides. Climbing long hills, by the time I am in heart rate Zone 5 (90% of max), I definitely breathe through my mouth. Side benefit, the zone 5 pushes and deep breathing have eliminated my asthma symptoms the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Kendra and Randy on this one. But I only know because it occurred to me to pay attention, a few months back. Up to then, I hadn't noticed!

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.