I used inexpensive "cork" bar tape and instead of the complexities of twine and shellac, I found waxed heavy duty thread. I used Rivendell's video for guidance, so I wound and finished off the ends fairly cleanly. I wouldn't recommend this type of thinner thread because it's difficult to align properly, however for my purpose, hopefully, the bar tape is secure and shouldn't unravel. In hindsight, I wished I had thought of using inch wide pieces of leopard print duct tape as a finishing touch (leftover from decorating my helmet), which would have been easier, more unique, and definitely my style - something to remember in the future!
I transferred the ergo grips from the neglected Peugeot UO 14; these are quite nice, feel wonderful in this new handle bar position and because they are extra long, work well for resting my palms on the wide end and perform two-finger braking or I can slide my hands forward to shift, ring the bell, or grab the brake levers for quicker, safer stopping power.
|An interesting concept: the cables are crisscrossed beneath the down tube.|
The pièce de résistance, which I'd recently stumbled on, was the availability of a second set of water bottle bosses tucked beneath the down tube. You'd think I'd struck gold, as I exclaimed my delightful discovery within earshot of my husband, but as I duly noted out loud, ahem, the home mechanics put Miss Clementine together, otherwise I would've seen those two blessed screws long before.
In a couple days I will be off on another multi-day Canadian adventure, pedaling Miss Clementine on her maiden touring voyage. No better time than the present to immerse myself into the step-through bike touring world before autumn's chill arrives on our doorstep.