Saturday, March 5, 2011

Skirts on Bikes

Brown is cotton; lime is rayon; blue/purple is wool with a liner;
 red/brown is cotton. 
Last fall I purchased a handful of inexpensive skirts. Here is my current collection along with a black lycra skort (not pictured). I have black, grey, and brown tights which coordinate well with these colors. In warmer weather I wear skirts over shorts. These aren't for the long rides to work or on a tour, but for the cruise around town on errands on my girly bike. I love wearing some color and the style is flattering on my long torso. Even my husband, who isn't often flush with praise, has complimented me on my attire.

I haven't always loved skirts. I attribute this recent phenomena to never having raised a girl to be able to dress up and preen  (I have two gnarly boys - think computer geek and sports nut who always leave the toilet seat up), to having a middle age work crisis (I'm retraining at a local college), to needing some color in my life. For years I've envied those little preschool and elementary girls who wear tights under darling dresses - I'm long past the coloring and nap stage, but certainly old enough to wear what I want. I believe it also stems from loving the upright bike style with the step through frame, which you can ride with everyday clothing. And if you stretch that thinking a bit further, shouldn't we all be able to get on a bike and ride to the store, clothes be damned? All of these reasons sent me scrambling to add these cute skirts to my wardrobe.

Here are some other musings and advice on skirts:
Bike in a Skirt?
The Diva's Guide to Biking
How to Wear a Skirt on a Bike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.