Saturday, December 12, 2015

Fat Biking at Catamount

The first fat biking event of Le Grand Fat Tour series, was held at Catamount Outdoor Center, on Global Fat Bike Day, and thankfully, very close to home. There's growing interest in fat tire riding and these events, scattered throughout the state and just over the Canadian border, afford anyone the opportunity to demo bikes on various trail systems, enjoy a meal, local beer, and participate in races.

It's a low key, well organized adventure with one flat fee. Eat as much as you like, ride as many bikes as you like - a perfect thing to do as a family. Arriving at lunchtime, we fortified ourselves first, enjoying a very odd but stellar December day at a picnic table.

Husband, enjoying himself.
We followed a recommended route full of roller coaster singletrack, laughing, barreling through a few puddles. The first bike didn't fit me very well, especially the seat which was cocked backward, but my second run was aboard a Surly Pugsley, set up with slightly curved handlebars and thumb shifters, a rig that I instantly felt at home on.


On the Pugsley. I can understand the appeal of a fat bike!
We all got a little muddy. Tried out fun trails. Had full bellies. A perfect introduction to fat biking!

6 comments:

  1. That almost looked like a "there's a fat bike in my future" smile. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, I dreamed about riding a fat bike for winter commuting, etc. etc...but in reality I wouldn't just purchase one when I'm dreaming about what my ultimate step through bike will be. But, given another one of these events where I can "rent" a fat bike for a couple hours, well, it seems like a good opportunity to do something out of the ordinary. That's the way I view fat biking: something that I can have fun with every once in a while.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry, but I just do not see the need for fat bikes. Maybe in a deep sand or snow environment, but how many people ride in these conditions. A good 2.0 tire with the right tread and air pressure will perform the same or better in the conditions you and your family seem to be riding in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that no one needs a fat bike, but oh man did those immense tires easily roll over roots and rocks. I felt like a kid!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ah, yes, what a fun time and and brilliant way to get novices to try a fat bike.

      Delete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.