Sunday, June 2, 2019

Bell and Grip Bling and a Handlebar Swap

Replacing an old Jelly Bell (left photo) with a colorful Public ding-dong bell on the Peugeot St. Laurent.

I believe that timing is everything.

I've lusted after the simple bling at Public Bikes for some time and nearly bought one of their rear racks. I'm not attracted to their bicycles though. But throw their panniers, bells, and in this case a discounted swoopy-curved Brunch Handlebar at me - that reminded me of the Albatross bar - just when I tired of the flat bar position on my alternate commuter, the Peugeot UO 14, and voila! I was sold.
Old handlebars (top two photos) and new Public Brunch bars (at bottom).
To get free shipping, I threw in two colorful bells, one mini bell, and 2 pairs of leather ergonomic grips (one to accommodate a Grip shift), fortunately also on sale.

The bars are wonderful and feel much better zipping around on the fast commuter. The downside is they have less rise so with the stem maxed out, I'm looking into an alternative stem, plus I need to deal with a loosened headset. I feel a mechanic/YouTube session is in the cards...

As pictured above, the grips and bell worked well, though this style of bell is rather heavy. The low profile silver/black bell for the Dahon turned out to be a great addition. However, Public's style of Grip shift leather ergo grips didn't fit on my Dahon's Grip shifter - right grip needs to be an inch shorter - another case where a folding bike is a whole other animal all together. I'm unable to move shifting and brake levers with minimal handlebar real estate. Nor can I trim the leather grip due to bolt on style and decorative stitching. I'll have to live with the blah, grey, existing grips for now.

While the mechanic's session took place, I also cleaned my parts box and donated a bunch of accessories to Old Spokes Home, which felt good.

I love accessorizing my bicycles, but I often wonder if it will ever end. Someone talk me out of acquiring colorful flat pedals...

10 comments:

  1. Love a good ding dong...bell ;)

    I adore panniers and baskets and grips and bells and lights and bottle carriers. It's and accessories thing. I also have more than enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating re: the grips for your Dahon. I've always just cut them down when they don't fit, but I understand that method doesn't work in this instance. What a bummer!

    Always fun to get new accessories. Looks like you're adding some fun stuff to your bikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The current grey rubber grips really work well - they were ones I cut and squeezed on the handlebar - and are ergonomic style. I'm seeking something similar in a choice of colors, but seems I'm not looking in the right place. You'd think these would be available somewhere!

      Delete
  3. I can tell you right now it doesn't end Annie LOL I think you should get some cool pedals, I like the new bars and grips look btw Enjoy the ride and i hope the Technomic Solution works out if that is the route you are going.

    I just tell myself it could be worse, I could be into vintage cars which would be waaaay more expensive and offer zero health benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself it's okay to spend money on Five Bikes, but I think therein lies the problem: FIVE BIKES! I'm beginning to think it's nuts owning so many bicycles, keeping them functioning properly (two are under repair and unrideable), and accessorizing all FIVE...

      Delete
    2. Only 5 -amateur! lol btw have you ever tried Crane bells? Brass, classy, great chime and they don't break the bank. I have them on two bikes and have one more to mount probably on the Trek 520 when it gets rebuilt.

      Delete
    3. I have not tried Crane bells. Do they come in bright colors?

      Delete
  4. While bells (or squeakers such as my own Kermit the Frog) are cool, and I love them dearly, I don't find I actually USE them more than once in a blue moon, and even then, mostly for effect. Is your experience different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regularly ride on MUPs, so yes, I use them frequently. There are lots of walkers, riders who ride two abreast. :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely bell! I've got a similar looking huge lovely painted German bell on my Trek, and people seem to love to hear it. Someone said it sounded friendly! They certainly hear it better than the bell on my Koga.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.