Friday, May 31, 2013

Trek Tribulation

Completing errands on the Ross, after dropping off the Trek for repair.
I like the monogrammed lock post.
I suppose it goes without saying that the more you ride a particular bike, the more that bicycle will need for maintenance and repair. Enter my Trek 820 Antelope. After procrastinating for weeks (don't we all do that when we own multiple bikes?) I replaced a couple chain rings. No biggie. But just yesterday while riding home from work, a grinding noise emanated from the rear wheel. Along with that, the pedals and chain rotate when walking the bicycle. I figured the freewheel and hub needed a good cleaning. However, I didn't feel up to the task after last weekend's basement bike mechanics, so I brought my bike to the LBS.

Diagnosis: freewheel connection to hub is worn. I don't understand exactly what that means or looks like, but I trust their judgement. I also had him assess the rim. It's seen some wear and is dished; however, I don't know how much is considered dangerous. Because this bike will see touring miles this year, I'm not surprised he recommended a new rim. Might as well, seeing as it needs a new hub anyway. I normally like having the LBS rebuild wheels, but unfortunately the cost is significantly higher with this method. So, long story short, I'm getting a new pre-built rear wheel. And, I'm going back to Schraeder tubes—personal preference.

And while they're at it, the mechanic will tighten the shifting cable and crank bolts. I fiddle with my bikes to save money, but when the bike is in for heavy duty repair, it's an opportune time to have a professional back me up.

*While writing this post, I called to remind the mechanic about the Schraeder rim hole. It's my lucky day. He had located a decent used wheel for me, cutting the cost in half. Yipppee! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.