Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cycle the City Loop

There is a signed 10 mile loop of Burlington that encompasses lakefront trail, Intervale bottom land, university paths, and neighborhood streets with historical significance. I often ride a portion of this every time I set out from my home, well, just because it's a car free route. When I discovered an organized event, complete with historical tour, I jumped at the chance to ride with others.

My husband and I showed up five minutes late, just in time to catch the first wave leaving the start from Maglianero. Our leader wore the old Cycle the City sign around her neck, which couldn't have been too comfortable.

It was a glorious day for a ride.

A stop at Ethan Allen Tower Park.

A climb up the tower for grand views of lake and mountains.


Then a nice descent into the Ethan Allen Homestead. My husband and I waited for the latter group to catch up; word had it that this leader spoke in greater detail. I won't repeat his spiel, but suffice it to say with Lake Champlain as strategic region during the Revolutionary War and The Allen brothers an integral part of it, not too mention that Burlington was a major lumber port in the early 1900s, there is plenty to talk about. Local Motion provides ample information here in downloadable PDFs, which allows anyone to take this tour on their own.


A brief stop at Old Spokes Home for refreshment.

I noticed a new side door open. I admired the wall rack that utilizes the metal siding grooves to keep bikes in line. Notice the interesting grill work on the window.

We hung in there for two more stops near the university, then we turned toward home. I'm guessing 75-100 people attended the event.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds great! I hope to get to see the Old Spokes Home one day. It looks like a great ride!

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.