Monday, November 2, 2015

Coffeeneuring 2015 - Sixth Cup at the Earth Clock


Why do I coffeeneur? To keep the wheels turning, the mind stimulated (all the planning requires mental enterprise!), and to enjoy my surroundings. I started the challenge two years ago, visiting as many new coffee shops as I could, which has morphed into a more difficult but satisfying third year, brewing coffee or tea at scenic Lake Champlain vistas.

En route to the Earth Clock, I ride under the golden colored Linden trees. From a distance,
the tree shape reminds me of gumdrops. 

I live in beautiful Burlington, Vermont, situated on seven miles of Lake Champlain shoreline. The Coffeenering Challenge occurs during the height of autumn foliage. It's a perfect opportunity to experience three of my favorite things: riding along the shoreline, admiring the changing colors, and using the camp stove - an exciting mini bike adventure during my favorite time of year!

Coffeneuring roadblock: costumed revelers boarding a Halloween train.
Visiting the Earth Clock has been on my coffeeneuring agenda since the challenge began, but due to frequent lakeside winds and park location, I knew it would take the right circumstances for my stove to function, plus be able to relax and really enjoy the moment.

Halloween afternoon was pristine.

The earth clock was built several years ago on park land and the bike path runs between the stones and lake, providing not only expansive water views, but interesting views of pedestrians and cyclists passing by.

A 40-hour filming venture was in progress and I was momentarily asked to step aside.

And so I brewed my English tea and watched the world go by.

These stones have a commanding yet soothing presence which has as much to do with location as with the shape and placement of stones.

Solstice celebrations take place here and someday I would like to attend. 


The Place: Burlington Earth Clock
Date: Saturday, October 31.
Drink: Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold tea 
Observation, Bike Friendliness: It's a contemplative spot to enjoy the lake amidst beautiful granite stones. By far, this has been my favorite Coffee Shop Without Walls experience.
Total Miles: 8

7 comments:

  1. "Visiting the Earth Clock has been on my coffeeneuring agenda since the challenge began, but due to frequent lakeside winds and park location, I knew it would take the right circumstances for my stove to function, plus be able to relax and really enjoy the moment."

    Sounds like the perfect opportunity to try out a Trangia "Stormcooker" stove set! I've used mine in the Columbia Gorge on very windy day with no worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawn. We have stoves with windscreens up the wazoo, however I like the simplicity of my little stove. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. It's the experience of being outside and brewing, but still be able to relax and enjoy why I'm there, otherwise I might as well go to a coffee shop. I can't get that same experience if I'm battling 30F gusty wind using any kind of stove!

      Delete
    2. Oh no, I get it, I don't want to go hang outside on a cold/windy day if I don't have to. But there's "windscreens up the wazoo" and then there's the Trangia Stormcooker! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I rode the Lake two years ago. The Vermont side was fun and spectacular. The New York side....not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the northern New York section quite a lot, especially north of Plattsburgh where it's fairly flat.

      Delete
  3. So lovely. Your photos evoke a sense of peace and rootedness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a unique place and I often hear the stones calling me. Well, not literally, but there is a magnetism that is hard to deny. Stop and rest a while, the stones say, or come when you can....

      Delete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.