Friday, October 4, 2013

Peugeot UO 14 - First Ride

After cleaning, reorganizing, and adjusting the Miyata and Trek after vacation, I was inspired to get the Peugeot up and running. On the last work session on the Peugeot, I'd swapped the drop bar for an upright style, re-purposed from a Shogun bike. New cables hung loose near the brakes, along with new Selle Royal grips. Without extra flat bar levers in our cache, I researched and purchased Avid brake levers. I merely had to tighten each component in position. But as-is with bicycle maintenance, it's often easier said than done.

Photo credit: Amazon
It required patience to properly shorten the ergonomic grips, but after consulting manual, I figured it out. Gosh, I'm smitten with the cork and rubberized style. Provided with 3 lime green rubber band-type sections, divided by 1/2 inch grey plastic rings, it can be adjusted to fit any one's hand.

I'd always wondered what the new star-shaped tool was for on my multi-tool. Ha! Now I know; it fits both screws on grips and brake levers. After some brake lever refinement, clipping and binding cable ends, and a quick spin in the neighborhood to check adjustments, I was ready for a short ride.

The smaller frame size easily accommodates wearing a skort. I'm not so sure about wearing skirts without a protective layer underneath though. Good thing it's autumn. Tights will soon be a necessary garment.

It is a more upright ride than my Miyata or Trek, for sure, and one that'll take some getting used to.

I love the zippy attitude. With 12 speeds it feels lowered geared that my touring bike with triple crank, though I presume it's due to lack of fenders, racks, and panniers.

Simplicity is key with this bike. This is my first bicycle without toe clips. I was continually trying to flip the pedal backwards to insert feet inside cages. I chuckled when I discovered only flat pedals with rubberized surface. Old habits die hard.

I went down a big hill on an errand. I was initially pleased with brake adjustments and Panaracer Pasela tires hugging the asphalt. But for all the niceties, after some time an uncomfortable jolting, seizing occurred when depressing the brakes more than a little. Thump, thump, thump on rim.

Heading back uphill was a breeze. When the terrain flattened, I gripped both brakes levers in succession, embarrassingly realized I'd flopped rear and front cables, though that shouldn't matter for stopping power. I suspected the center pull brakes needed some attention. This style is new territory for me. And then, when inspecting rear wheel, I detected the wobble. Oh vey!

I confirmed it when I got home. There's a broken rear spoke. It's time to let the professionals take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.