Thursday, May 24, 2012

Moose on the Loose

Photo credit: Horizons North
Because my husband regularly commutes along the Winooski River, he often encounters deer, woodchucks, even fly-fishermen in hipwaders standing in the water. But the other day something swimming caught his attention and he realized a moose was heading towards him. He stopped his bike, hardly believing what he saw, but also to give the mammal room should the moose lumber up the bank. But fortunately, the same instance the animal saw my husband and headed back the way he came. The moose eventually stood on the far bank, dripping wet, all leggy 8 feet of him.. "He was a big boy!", exclaimed my husband as he called home immediately after he got to his office. "With 6" antlers."

I think I would've peed my pants had the moose bumbled toward me!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never seen one in person,but can imagine the intimidation an animal so large would carry. Nice pic of it too :)

    The Disabled Cyclist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Even though we have the reputation of danger here in Australia, we do not have wild animals that large or dangerous, thankfully. When I think of encountering moose and bears in the wild while on my bike I can only shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have moose here as well, but sightings are very rare since we have such large tracts of wilderness for the moose to hide in. What a great sighting for your husband. I've had my share of sightings. They are always exhilarating, scary up close, yet awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.