Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Versatile Ross Mount Saint Helens

A post on Lovely Bicycle! titled: City Bikes with Mountain Bike Heritage recently struck a personal cord. As with all Velouria's writing she is eloquent and brought up an idea - that to me at least - made so much sense that it's brought clarity to something I've pondered for quite some time. I'll explain.

While the women's style Ross was meant to be a parts bike, instead I ultimately used it for errands around town. I also ride it for pleasure up to 20 miles. Because it became my favorite "go to" bicycle, I added a front rack.


I love the step-through style, the bomb proof tires that glide on sidewalks and light trails, it's sturdy steel frame, and racks that can haul gobs of stuff. It's scuffed, which is perfect for grinding on the Intervale Trail or at the Catamount Family Center.

I've toyed with wanting a beautiful Mixte, but unless it's new like the Betty Foy, Linus, or Public, it will not have clearance for fenders. And, I believe, these couldn't accommodate 2" wide tires. Buying new is out of the question not only because of cost, but then the bike becomes a liability and I would not feel comfortable leaving it locked to racks around town.

The Intervale Trail diversion. I can duck under this fallen tree.
So, with Lovely Bicycles! explanation of the Pilen and chunky looking Urbana as having "mountain bike roots" I had an epiphany. I love the looks of those bikes. They have fat tires, are great commuters, sport fenders, racks - all the features I desire - just like the Ross.

My view is unhindered now. I will replace the Ross with another women's style mountain bike. Ideally, it would be lighter. Hefting the Ross onto our car's racks has been awkward and challenging. After leaning a bit too far forward for many years, I know the frame is too small. And add to that, there is an inherent problem with the tubing. The seat post opening has been stretched, according to one mechanic. To prevent the seat post from slipping, I've removed most of the grease, and with enough torque and hand-hurting leverage on the quick release lever, I've secured the post.

It's fun riding the Ross through the woods.
Thanks to Velouria, I now have a clear vision of my perfect Girly Bike. The hunt is on.

3 comments:

  1. I found the post on the Ross Good discussion of it's pros and cons. Versatility, yes. The pursuit of the holy grail. A good all around bomber. Nice post,again

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a Ross Mt. St Helens I think it's from 1984. It's an 18 speed that somebody threw it away because it didn't have a seat and the crank bearings were not seated properly. I was able to find a seat at a local garage sale for $1.00. The bike had good tires and rims and after some procrastination and a few failed attempts at fixing the crank I got a working bicycle out of the deal. If it wasn't repairable it was gonna go back where it came from! It's an OK bicycle for riding around town on nice days for local errands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS About the last post... I live in Connecticut and I ride this thing in the winter too. It's a little rough when it's cold out, but right now it's my only means of transportation.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.