Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's on Your Bucket List?

We all have dreams and for some of us that includes the proverbial "bucket list". For me it's a collection of things to do before I'm old and frail and can barely life a leg over a three wheeler. My list has fluctuated over the years and, of course, it's not all about the bike.

Photo credit: Time-Travel Britian
1. Hike Hadrian's Wall. Once a hiker, always a hiker. For years I was fascinated with Macchu Picchu. I read every article I could, inspected every photo of the place. But then the crowds took over and I gradually lost interest. Now I want to walk along Hadrian's Wall. I am fascinated with Roman history and have read William Dietrich's book of the same title. After spending time in England I think this would be a fun area to walk, eat in pubs, even if it means hiking under a poncho for much of the 10 days it takes to go from sea to sea.

Photo credit:  Bike and the Like
2. Ride GAPCO. This is a 300+ mile ride connecting two rail trails: The Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal. Starting near Pittsburgh and ending in Washington, D.C. the pathway is mostly smooth gravel and has camping along the entire route. I envision this as a family adventure, but if it doesn't work out I would go with a partner or possibly alone.

Photo credit: PEDAL Across the Americas
3. Pedal Across the Country Again. Yes, I didn't get enough the first time around. Now that it's been over 25 years since that adventure, I'd like to pedal the northern states with excursions into Canada. There is so much more to see...

What's on your list?

4 comments:

  1. 1. Hike some or all of the Appalachian Trail.

    2. Do some deep/long walks in the Grand Canyon, in contrast to the short two or three day dips I've done so far.

    3. Japan.

    4. India.

    5. Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just copy your list? It sounds perfect.

    I would have to say, that I would love to do a bike around Europe tour, so that is definitely on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 Build a bicycle frame from scratch

    2 Spend one winter somewhere reasonably warm and ride everyday.

    3 Play hockey again

    4 Perfect my skid

    5 Visit the UK

    6 Visit Swanton Vt

    7 Ride a high-wheel (penny farthing)

    8 Write a book about bicycle repair and restoration

    ReplyDelete
  4. The GAPCO sounds marvelous. I will have to read more about - never knew it existed.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.