Friday, October 20, 2017

Colchester Streets Challenge - Challenging Motivation

A nice view from Water Tower Hill in Colchester.
I've decided to put the Colchester Streets Challenge on hold for the remainder of 2017. While I could devote weekends towards this goal, I've lost the motivation to get to roads that are a fair distance from home. While a challenge should be difficult to some degree, otherwise it's not a challenge, but especially a self-imposed one - at least the way I understand it - should be a source of inspiration...and frankly, I've lost interest. While I may finish a few more Colchester streets before the year's out, it's no longer my primary focus.

Other exciting events and projects have taken precedence:

I'm also looking forward to gearing up for winter riding, more Burlington Bicycle Club rides, and weather dependent Cranksgiving and Winter Solstice events - all short term goals that I can easily get behind!

5 comments:

  1. I don't think that just because you set yourself a challenge you should feel you have to complete it. There are often good reasons to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I have trouble with setting challenges for myself that sometimes start to feel like a burden. This year I told myself not to set a mileage goal. I may even have announced that here (or over at GE’s blog). But I secretly did. I was hoping to match last year’s mileage (4000). But then I got hit by a driver and ended up missing a month of riding. In May I was able to spend a month in Europe on a work thing that didn’t work out for biking as I had hoped, so I had to let that goal go. Once I did, it turned out to be incredibly liberating! Now I just ride as often and as far as I want, and don’t worry about a particular goal. I am going to try very hard *not* to set such goals for next year. We’ll see....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to step back from the challenge - no regrets. Sorry to hear about your accident, hoping you healed well, emotionally and physically.

      Delete
  3. When your hearts not in it don't do it has always been my thought.... Concentrate on what inspires you right now.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit. I agree with you. No sense getting bogged down. Might as well seize the day!

      Delete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.