Thursday, September 21, 2017

Autumnal Equinox - A Changing Landscape

After a wondrous hiking vacation it's taken me a few surreal days to acclimatize back into my biking routine. And what a beautiful time of year! There are purple, magenta, and deep red wild asters lining the bike trail...

Contrasting with goldenrod...

and sumac trees turning orange and red.
There's even early color in a maple grove, appropriately gracing the Maple Research facility's front lawn.

My wheels roll over leaves, the crunch and crackle welcome sounds.

I glide past a storm water pond where a menagerie of plants and trees were planted a year ago, but are already an established, colorful part of the fall landscape.

As the days grow sadly shorter, a kind of special, if fleeting, beauty has replaced the heat of summer.

This is my time of year!

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I think this is one of my favorite times of year. I love spring as well, but there's something about the relief from heat as we get cool mornings and evenings that makes me want to ride even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. Here we have fall wildflowers and little yellow butterflies, monarch butterflies and zebra long wings along bike paths and country roads. I enjoy cycling this time of year. The evenings and mornings are cooler by here it is still very warm to hot by lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So serene. I love this time of year. Unfortunately, it still feels like summer in Memphis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shortly after I posted this our weather is now officially a heatwave...90 yesterday and today - UGH!

      Delete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.