Monday, August 22, 2016

The Sunset Ride and Feeding the Soul

Many of my summertime rides involve skedaddling home and, more often than not, completing errands en route. It is summer, after all, when we try and fit in as much as possible before cool weather sets in. So, when I find a little free time before sunset, I like to relax and pedal a few miles, enjoying the evening along the lake shore path (with eye wear for bug protection!).

It's time for quiet reflection, time to feed my own soul. There's something about the calming influence of rhythmically rotating the pedals as the sun goes down that brings a hectic day to a proper close. Bright, low angle light illuminates the lake, the trees, and eventually as the sun kisses the Adirondack Mountains in the west, the sky turns gold, then orange, then purple.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely path. Thanks for the thoughtful reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about sunrise rides. But sundown, of course, kicks ass too. I live on the east coast of Florida so the sun comes up out of the ocean around 6:45 this time of year and if you are on the beach, pedaling to the rhythm of the waves and paying attention, you can see dolphins silhouetted inside the waves, surfing in just for the hell of it.

    But for the past two weeks I have been working in Sarasota on the west coast and I have been dazzled by the setting sun. It lingers, it does; while the dawn sun seems to be in a hurry, (late to work maybe) the evening sun takes his time. He ain't in a hurry to go anywhere. The Moon can keep her britches on and just wait a second. Sol and us are enjoying the end of another day. We're collecting our thoughts, feeling a little of the good kind of melancholy and glad...just to be here.

    Thanks for reminding me, Miss Annie.

    Old Tim Joe

    a postscript: How about that Lael? Man! I have corresponded with Gypsy Nick for a few years now but never did I see this coming. What a Super Girl! I left her a comment somewhere saying her name is really La-El.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to be a morning person and go for sunrise rides...maybe someday! For now I'm chronically rushing around in the morning just to get to work.

      Delete
  3. that looks like Cycling paradise..gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It aint cheap to live here, but it does have it's benefits.

      Delete
    2. I certainly get the aint cheap thing and the benefits thing as I write a large rent check every month but get to glance across the Puget sound at the Olympic range when the weather cooperates or I can gaze at Mt Rainer standing majestically beyond the south end of Lake Washington as I commute to and from work....it beats the heck out of Tulsa

      Delete
  4. I rode my last morning ride to Yoga in the park today. It's over for this year. I also enjoy evening rides, watching the sun set and the hordes of Pokeymon Go kids inundating the historic sites.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.