Friday, April 18, 2014

Blue Skies

Blue, blue skies. Despite the cold winter, late snowfall, and icy roads, I've come to appreciate Vermont skies. Before the buds and tiny leaves fill the treetops, we have wide open expanses. Meadows are still flattened from the weighted snow blanket. Lake views are crisp, clear before the onset of summer's humidity; I can often count individual houses on the New York side, 8 miles away.

It was the first thing I noticed when we moved here from Portland, Oregon nearly 20 years ago. Winters may be colder, but oh, the sunshine! I no longer pine for the big city life, the crowds, though I do miss skiing volcanic open slopes. Openness. Which is what I love about Lake Champlain. 110 miles long and 8 miles at it's widest.

Spaciousness. Crisp skies. Great shadows. And Canadian geese moving north, filling my commutes with song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to increased Spam, I am moderating comments. Thank you for your patience.